The CRTC farce

arieskjj

Aug 9, 2010
I sent a complaint to the CRTC this afterneen as I got to the last step they led me through, Im pretty sure that the whole thing was deleted and I was brought back to the original step the make you do in order to file a complaint. The fact that they can regulate what we may have access to on the internet is offensive in many ways but mostly the nerve they have to dictate what free Canadians have access to is the worste, should be and probably is against Canadian law.
Their protecting Canadian television content all of these years, to me, has always been a joke and nothing more than a way of ensuring that a small group of Toronto based entertaiment (entertaining rarely at best) companies have employment. It is protectionism, prejudism and yet another way for the easten politiions to suck money out of the rest of Canada. And how thick are their packets getting as a benifit.
Now that we are living in the age of information I would hope that censorship groups such as CRTC may be tossed in the "what were we thinking" refuse pile of outdated ideas.
For those that feel hat we as Canadians need to be protected from becoming "Americanised" ... it is a prejudised idea and I think Canadian people are defined by their gracious and humble willingness to embrace humanity and our undying willingness to fight for any and everyones freedom. We only need to be protected from those that would take away freedom be they from abroud or within our own borders.
O O no spell check, forgive me Im a carpenter ( insert sheepish smile here)

Here is the letter they may or may not have discarded on me.

Once again this evening I find that I am unable to watch shows on the internet because of your sensorship. This happens infrequently and what it adds up to is that you are dictating my freedom. You at the CRTC have taken it upon youselves to decide what us free canadians can and cannot have access too on the world wide web. Whatever excuse you use or justification you can come up with does not chenge the fact that you have impeded on my personal freedom, not as an elected representative of the canadian people but as some appointed group of individuals.
Your usefullness has been passed by and I hope to plant a seed that will help to have you all abolished so that the canadian public will be free to have access whatever they choose and not what you have mandated.
I think a letter writing campain to news agancies will be a good place to start along with a demand that this trajic waste of tax dollars become a campain issue and that this farce finally come to an end in the next federal election.
Don't speak of protecting Canadian content because if the content is not good enough to stand on it's own than it is just another horrible waste of money.
It is hard to believe in this day and age that anyone would be so self centered and self serving as to impose their own will on free people.
I will tell you this; if you are profitting as a result of the regulations that you have imposed then I hope karma is ruthless and thorough when serving up your punishment.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I sent a complaint to the CRTC this afterneen as I got to the last step they led me through, Im pretty sure that the whole thing was deleted and I was brought back to the original step the make you do in order to file a complaint. The fact that they can regulate what we may have access to on the internet is offensive in many ways but mostly the nerve they have to dictate what free Canadians have access to is the worste, should be and probably is against Canadian law.
Their protecting Canadian television content all of these years, to me, has always been a joke and nothing more than a way of ensuring that a small group of Toronto based entertaiment (entertaining rarely at best) companies have employment. It is protectionism, prejudism and yet another way for the easten politiions to suck money out of the rest of Canada. And how thick are their packets getting as a benifit.
Now that we are living in the age of information I would hope that censorship groups such as CRTC may be tossed in the "what were we thinking" refuse pile of outdated ideas.
For those that feel hat we as Canadians need to be protected from becoming "Americanised" ... it is a prejudised idea and I think Canadian people are defined by their gracious and humble willingness to embrace humanity and our undying willingness to fight for any and everyones freedom. We only need to be protected from those that would take away freedom be they from abroud or within our own borders.
O O no spell check, forgive me Im a carpenter ( insert sheepish smile here)

Here is the letter they may or may not have discarded on me.

Once again this evening I find that I am unable to watch shows on the internet because of your sensorship. This happens infrequently and what it adds up to is that you are dictating my freedom. You at the CRTC have taken it upon youselves to decide what us free canadians can and cannot have access too on the world wide web. Whatever excuse you use or justification you can come up with does not chenge the fact that you have impeded on my personal freedom, not as an elected representative of the canadian people but as some appointed group of individuals.
Your usefullness has been passed by and I hope to plant a seed that will help to have you all abolished so that the canadian public will be free to have access whatever they choose and not what you have mandated.
I think a letter writing campain to news agancies will be a good place to start along with a demand that this trajic waste of tax dollars become a campain issue and that this farce finally come to an end in the next federal election.
Don't speak of protecting Canadian content because if the content is not good enough to stand on it's own than it is just another horrible waste of money.
It is hard to believe in this day and age that anyone would be so self centered and self serving as to impose their own will on free people.
I will tell you this; if you are profitting as a result of the regulations that you have imposed then I hope karma is ruthless and thorough when serving up your punishment.

Pray tell what have the Gods of Censorship prevented you from watching????????????????/

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I think you're nuts.

I like that they protect our Canadian talent and production that is on TV.

we need some of our own TV out there!

otherwise all we'd ever have on our stations is american TV shows and none of our stuff would ever make it on the air!

we have A LOT of good stuff out there despite what you believe.

It's good that we protect our country and it's talent.

arieskjj

Aug 9, 2010
thats right it is blocked,try to log onto comedy central, or watch old episodes of anything on an american network.
As far as TV goes if the product is worth its production value then it would not need protection. If the product is not wanted by a majority of the people than I would hope that we would have the good sense to remember that we live where we do and that that money belongs to the public.
Make Canadian TV , make them well written and well produced and market them inteligently and the industry will pay for itself.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
thats right it is blocked,try to log onto comedy central, or watch old episodes of anything on an american network.

hmmmm...logged onto comedy central and watched an episode of the daily show with Jon Stewert, and South Park. The error on ABC looks like they don't broadcast to any country outside the u.s., not just Canada.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
hmmmm...logged onto comedy central and watched an episode of the daily show with Jon Stewert, and South Park. The error on ABC looks like they don't broadcast to any country outside the u.s., not just Canada.

This is a recent ever increasing situation on the Net, its happening on more & more sites every day. What it really comes down to is the entertainment industry in the US doesn't like Harper's latest version of Bill C32. They want it to be a clone of their laws, which mainly focus on P2P file sharing, copyright, hunting down & jailing torrent site users/owners. Laws which are making it difficult for the Net to proliforate & educate as well as it should be due to the inability of bots to differentiate between open source legal torrent & P2P sites such as Miro for instance. So they just block everything. Reams of stuff now blocked to Canadians on YouTube for instance.

Microsoft's Windows7 is being promoted in Canada using its main selling point, "Media Centre". MS should be nailed for false advertising (they know it's pretty much useless in Canada). Windows7 Media Centre can be easily networked to your tv so, according to MS, you can "watch your favourite tv shows, hundreds of movies, videos, all from the Internet on your television...". All you actually can get is CBC news channel repeats, bits of CTV - no provincial 'learning' channels, no CPAC, no cultural Can channels, no US PBS channels you may well have donated to. All major US tv sites, including tv news channels, documentary, movie, book & music sites are blocked to Canada both on Windows7 Media Centre & most probably on your browser.

Harper's version of Bill C32 takes the "digital lock" approach, an approach the US tried & found both consumer unsustainable & legally indefensible. They know it's unworkable & won't stop what they want stopped, which is unstoppable anyway. Duh! Hence: "U.S. Move to Pick Digital Locks Leaves Canadians Locked Out" Michael Geist - U.S. Move to Pick Digital Locks Leaves Canadians Locked Out (Good comments section there about Bill C32, well worth reading IMHO.) Briefly, Bill C32 will make you a thief & committer of an illegal act if you photocopy any media that isn't of your own making; back up your computer if it contains any legally purchased copyright applications, media, documents, etc.; back up your DVD's, CD's, etc.; make changes to your media players - Ipod, etc.: requires all educational institutions to obtain permission for the use of text books, any digital media at all for any purpose; permits transfer of digital & print media to a format useable by sight or hearing impaired disabled but makes all hardware needed to do so illegal to own, let alone use! There's tons more of these draconian & impossible no no's in the tabled C32. If you want to know more, you can find the complete Bill at: C-32

What arieskjj has rightfully attempted to complain to the CRTC about is the tip of a whopping big iceberg that, if allowed to be sneakily & quickly passed into law in Canada, is going to have a huge impact on everything digital in Canada. CC & other forums will probably find themselves in the position of having to filter out every image, video, quote, signature line, URL, smilie, etc., from posts to prevent being charged under such an Act, as could the poster.

With open source software tools already being designed, VPN's, and the fury of consumers & users should Harper be daft enough to push this Bill through, it's going to get very, very noisy with the Digital Enforcement Police sirens going in every neighbourhood! :hal :canada::brave:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What does the Canadian Rectal Thermometer Commission have to do with watching ABC on the internet?

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
If you're on a Canadian ISP, you can't - you're blocked out. The CRTC's job is to protect Canadians rights regarding media access, they're not of course.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
How exactly does the CRTC block you from watching US TV programming on the internet?

If you looked into the issue at all, you would realize it's the US broadcasters blocking access to IP addresses outside of the US due to content licensing. Kinda like how people from the US cannot stream video from Canadian broadcasters.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:( So much for "the freedom of the internet"..............damn!!

T'was only a matter of time I guess.

Complaining to Harperites, CRTC, etc. will do about as much good as complaining about cancelling the long form census..........that worked pretty good, eh!!:roll:

Next freedom step right up.:read: