How Do I Install XP Into Partition?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

I have a Vista and partitioned space to install XP but it won’t install.

Does anybody know how to do it?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I never thought to do that, but have successfully installed Linux alongside windows many times.

What is happening exactly? Does it complete installation but simply not boot, or does it refuse to install?

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe

I have a Vista and partitioned space to install XP but it won’t install.

Does anybody know how to do it?

If possible please let me in Total
What is the size of RAM [ Memory ]
What is the size of Hard disk
How many partitions you have
Wow many OS you want to install

Before answering anything this would be very very useful info

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I was going to suggest Partition Magic as a way to assist but it is no longer supported by Symantec..

The good news is I found a FREE program that seems to work just as well in real time Windows environment.. I installed it on my laptop and for Home use it is free with full access no strings attached for now.. You may want to look into this to set partitions..

Free Download Partition Manager, Partition Recovery, Data Recovery and Disk & Partition Copy Software.

Can't beat free..

I downloaded my version from downloads.com but you have 4 locations to chose from..

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If possible please let me in Total
What is the size of RAM [ Memory ]
What is the size of Hard disk
How many partitions you have
Wow many OS you want to install

Before answering anything this would be very very useful info
4 MB Ram
1 Tarabite hard disk
1 partition 100 gigs
Have vista want to load XP but into new partition

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Be careful installing XP with Vista already installed as this will result in Vista not being able to boot anymore. In order to make the two "dual boot", you will have to load the vista disc in after the XP install and do a startup repair.

Basically boils down to "Vista can see XP but XP cannot see Vista", due to them utilizing the MBR differently.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why not spring for a 2nd hard-drive and then just unplug your Vista drive while you install XP. Boot would be selected via bios or modify your Boot.ini file to give you the choice.
Windows wants the 1st partition of any HD. A program like grub can remap a HD so the 4rd or 4th partition 'appears' to be #1. That is a lot of work the 1st time you do it lol. Two drives cost's a few $ but your data is much safer and if you mess up the install you have a 'backup' OS that can read both drives.

I haven't done it but with a new 2nd drive you should be able to install XP on it right from Vista, just run the XP setup disk and choose the 2nd drive, that should install the dualboot for you

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I was going to suggest Partition Magic as a way to assist but it is no longer supported by Symantec..

The good news is I found a FREE program that seems to work just as well in real time Windows environment.. I installed it on my laptop and for Home use it is free with full access no strings attached for now.. You may want to look into this to set partitions..

Free Download Partition Manager, Partition Recovery, Data Recovery and Disk & Partition Copy Software.

Can't beat free..

I downloaded my version from downloads.com but you have 4 locations to chose from..
Unfortunately you need a OS to use those programs. When that is messed up I have been able to use an Ubuntu install disk (free) to follow the install as far as the partitioning part (a 500MB partition at the very end of the the drive for the linux partition that is reclaimed once a windows OS is booted. Once the partitioning part of the install is completed (formatting use only fat32, change it during the actual install) it is ok to kill the power and reboot into a windows install program.