Anti virus programs

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just got to thinking after having a lot of "infections" removed from my computer, if these anti virus outfits aren't partly responsible. Most of them have the "free" version and then the enhanced version they charge the big bucks for. It wouldn't surprise me if you subscribe to the "free" version that the odd critter or worm might just "happen" to find it's way into your system to "encourage" you to buy the "full meal deal". Anyone else been wondering along these lines? If you follow what I mean.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm not so sure about this, JLM. I have been running a 'free' version of AVG that is part of my internet package, for years now. I've never (knock on wood) had a single problem with a virus. I also have an email scanner that I train to block spam - it works amazingly well. I can't remember the last time I had spam in my mail box.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I'm not so sure about this, JLM. I have been running a 'free' version of AVG that is part of my internet package, for years now. I've never (knock on wood) had a single problem with a virus. I also have an email scanner that I train to block spam - it works amazingly well. I can't remember the last time I had spam in my mail box.

Well, I've said it before but I do wonder if being on dial-up (which I also am) has something to do with AVG's sterling performance (which I agree with, by the way) out here if the hinterlands...Is it possible that the "bugs" can't live long enough to make it through the maddeningly-slow phone lines and into our computers? :lol:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well, I've said it before but I do wonder if being on dial-up (which I also am) has something to do with AVG's sterling performance (which I agree with, by the way) out here if the hinterlands...Is it possible that the "bugs" can't live long enough to make it through the maddeningly-slow phone lines and into our computers? :lol:

Now there's a thought. Hadn't considered it at all, CB. ;-)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Since there were a bunch of people complaining about Apple users acting like sales people for Apple, I'll resist commenting on viruses.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Since there were a bunch of people complaining about Apple users acting like sales people for Apple, I'll resist commenting on viruses.

OK, but what about bacteria? :lol:

Seriously, I for one would be quite interested in your comments on viruses, Apple, etc. I'm ignorant on the subject of worms, viruses, and other computer maladies so if you have some insight, could we please hear it? Thanks!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now there's a thought. Hadn't considered it at all, CB. ;-)

Yes, I think I've had more viruses/critters since I switched from Dial up to high speed cable. I've been running the AVG free version for years and am now thinking of upgrading to the delux one once this free promotional period is up. I can definitey understand viruses not bothering with long trek out to Canim Lake- having been there myself....................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Someone on here mentioned they got warnings from avast about a bad zip file from this site and after avg totally screwed my computer on the last upgrade because they failed to tell me that roxio cd burning software had a bug that wasnt compatible with the new version of AVG. I d.loaded avast as avg is basically unusable and cant upgrade or delete it now(thanks AVG)
I'm impressed with avast,it picked out all these problems and ran a boot scan and found the offending zip file and 7 other baddys and fixed them.
Dont know where the zip file came from as the only place I saw one was on the 9/11 thread and I didnt open it.
I never click those.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Yes, I think I've had more viruses/critters since I switched from Dial up to high speed cable. I've been running the AVG free version for years and am now thinking of upgrading to the delux one once this free promotional period is up. I can definitey understand viruses not bothering with long trek out to Canim Lake- having been there myself....................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, usually it's cold enough in the winter to kill the little buggers as they crawl down the phone lines, but now I'm getting worried with all this warm weather we've been having...:-(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, usually it's cold enough in the winter to kill the little buggers as they crawl down the phone lines, but now I'm getting worried with all this warm weather we've been having...:-(

Yep and not only that but they could grow to monster size, not only gobbling the hared drive but the whole computer, monitor, keyboard and printer. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
OK, but what about bacteria? :lol:

Seriously, I for one would be quite interested in your comments on viruses, Apple, etc. I'm ignorant on the subject of worms, viruses, and other computer maladies so if you have some insight, could we please hear it? Thanks!
I have been using Apple computers since '96 and on high speed since '02. I don't have any anti virus, anti spam, anti anything except the Mac OS. I have rebuilt close to 100 systems for friends over the past 6 years and none of them have had any malware. Since Apple has less than 10% of the market share, I believe that idiots who write viruses and such don't bother with us. They want the biggest bang for their buck so they target PCs and sites that cater to the highest traffic, like MSN Messenger and Hotmail. I avoid those sites and use ones with less traffic like canada.com (run by CanWest) which I have used for 12 years without problem.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I have been using Apple computers since '96 and on high speed since '02. I don't have any anti virus, anti spam, anti anything except the Mac OS. I have rebuilt close to 100 systems for friends over the past 6 years and none of them have had any malware. Since Apple has less than 10% of the market share, I believe that idiots who write viruses and such don't bother with us. They want the biggest bang for their buck so they target PCs and sites that cater to the highest traffic, like MSN Messenger and Hotmail. I avoid those sites and use ones with less traffic like canada.com (run by CanWest) which I have used for 12 years without problem.

I think you just confirmed my decision to part with Windows on my next computer purchase.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My son dragged my wife and I kicking and screaming into computers. We've been "on the net" for about 14 years. During that time we've only used one anti-virus program that served our purposes and that was AVG. For a short time I had Norton but that program was so intrusive it drove me crazy. AVG has had detractors over the years including me but it seems to catch the bugs. The only virus I ever had was on one of those occasions when a hard drive died and I hadn't yet reinstalled AVG.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Kaspersky - so far it's doing a good job -as far as I can tell anyway.... and having picked it up right after Christmas for only $20.00 - I'm thrilled. First time I've paid for any security but after the email hijack incident I couldn't stop feeling creeped out. Got a new laptop, and haven't typed a single password - Kaspersky has a 'virtual keyboard' that you can use so if a key logger ever did make it onto the comp, they'd never be able log a password - I don't know how important that is, but it makes me feel better.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I just got to thinking after having a lot of "infections" removed from my computer, if these anti virus outfits aren't partly responsible. Most of them have the "free" version and then the enhanced version they charge the big bucks for. It wouldn't surprise me if you subscribe to the "free" version that the odd critter or worm might just "happen" to find it's way into your system to "encourage" you to buy the "full meal deal". Anyone else been wondering along these lines? If you follow what I mean.

I was told recently that most virus' etc are actually designed to target the most commonly used (and especially free) anti virus packages. Again, don't know how true that is, but it makes sense really, doesn't it? If a hacker wants to gain access to as many comps as possible in the shortest amount of time, they're gonna design something they can use in 'bulk' I'd imagine.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I was told recently that most virus' etc are actually designed to target the most commonly used (and especially free) anti virus packages. Again, don't know how true that is, but it makes sense really, doesn't it? If a hacker wants to gain access to as many comps as possible in the shortest amount of time, they're gonna design something they can use in 'bulk' I'd imagine.

I can definitely follow your logic, Zan. I've also heard that Kapersky is good. Thanks, Zan.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Zan. Good to see you're back.

A few months back AVG decided that they would cancel the free version. I sincerely meant to do something about that, but by the time I was finished procrastinating, they changed their minds......so I still have AVG.

Cheers