Youtube copyright issues

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I made a video that had a Fleetwood Mac song playing in the background. When I uploaded it to youtube it blocked the sound and I received an email saying it was an unauthorized use of the song. I thought to myself, for crying out loud, half of youtube is an unauthorized copyright violation. That's how the site became what it is and still is.

It was one of those moments where a person thinks, am I the only one they have rules for?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sounds like Youtube is getting draconian in their measures. Perhaps they have been sued too many times or something?:-?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Google has been sued previously by various RIAA members, end result being that google compared uploads to "fingerprints" from various recording artists. If it matches one of the fingerprints, it's denied and taken down. The DMCA (digital millennium copyright act) is can be blamed for this sort of behaviour.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
People also use the DMCA to try to silence their critics on YouTube. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Not sure about Youtube, but I posted some of my fave tunes in MySpace and the Idiots-That-Be took the player off my page. A week later I put it up again and it's still there. lol

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I hate to admit this but I remember telling my daughter about this a little while ago..

Sept 29, 2009 new policy..

YouTube Copyright Policy: Copyright infringement policy
Print

YouTube respects the rights of copyright holders and publishers and requires all users to confirm they own the copyright or have permission from the copyright holder to upload content. We comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable copyright laws and promptly remove content when properly notified. Repeat infringers' videos are removed and their accounts are terminated and permanently blocked from using YouTube. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, read our Copyright Tips.

DISCLAIMER: WE ARE NOT YOUR ATTORNEYS, AND THE INFORMATION WE PRESENT HERE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. WE PRESENT THIS INFORMATION FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
YouTube Copyright Policy : Copyright infringement policy - YouTube Help

Expect many of what is already on YouTube to disappear as they weed thru those uploaded prior to them setting up a filter to catch new uploads..