Web Hosting Frustrations

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Web hosts are such a racket. Good reviews on the internet are BS and it seems to be impossible to find one that is good.

I went from paying $10 per month to $75 for a plan that was supposed to meet all my site needs. Still have site going down because of memory surges etc. Have 512MB but probably need more - maybe 1GB. I am willing to pay about (or should say would like to not have to spend any more than) $125 per month to get a reliable high performing host. Does anyone know a host, can be a VPS host, who is not only good but would ensure a smooth transition?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks El Barto. They look like great deals for startups. Would love to pay $10 month again but usually these shared servers have limits to memory usage and it's the luck of the draw with who else is on your server causing everyone else problems. My preference would be something VPS or Dedicated with 1GB RAM and possibly burstable to 2GB.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Thanks El Barto. They look like great deals for startups. Would love to pay $10 month again but usually these shared servers have limits to memory usage and it's the luck of the draw with who else is on your server causing everyone else problems. My preference would be something VPS or Dedicated with 1GB RAM and possibly burstable to 2GB.
My friend who sent me those links also took an old computer and used it as a server . That might be the other option ....dunno
You should be talking to him

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
It depends on where you want to host your site but we run several servers at theplanet.com. Be reminded though that you'll have to administer the servers yourself, and you might also want to have somebody 'harden' your server for security (can cost around 100$ for a professional to go in and get it done within 30 minutes).

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
ThePlanet kind of freaks me out. It seems so unmanaged, especially for someone like me, and I wouldn't know a good bargain bin deal from another. Sort of like leasing a used car straight off the internet. I don't really understand the difference or significance of the characteristics from one server to the next. I can just see myself taking one that half a dozen other dummies have tried and bailed out on in the past.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was going to suggest that you either PM Andem or DurkaDurka on this,
But Andem has already found your Thread. OK...that's my contribution.
Anything else would be a hindrance to you. Good Luck Kreskin.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If your ISP allows in bound traffic to port 80 on their network, you could host it on a pc/server of your own. You could run VMware and virtualize the whole thing, allocate 1 cpu core and a gig or two of RAM and you are good to go.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If your ISP allows in bound traffic to port 80 on their network, you could host it on a pc/server of your own. You could run VMware and virtualize the whole thing, allocate 1 cpu core and a gig or two of RAM and you are good to go.

Thanks Durka. I'd like to do something like that but I just don't know enough about servers and security etc to have the confidence.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Kreskin, did you find a host that filled your requirements?

I have three web sites, on three different hosts, and they are all pretty good. Plus I have worked on several other sites and have come into contact with several other hosting companies. The bigger ones are good, but more expensive.

What are your requirements (space requirements, bandwidth, number of email addresses, PHP support, Java support, email filtering, etc.)? Did you want to keep your business local?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hi David. Thanks for jumping in here. It turned out that a Russian spider was crashing my site. After we blocked it my problems went away, but it took a long time to identify the bugger. But that's for now and there's always another day when a search for a new host creeps in and I will definitely ask you more if/when the time comes.