Any Ideas For A Computer

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
My computer has to be put out to pasture.

It’s a 256ram and 10 gigs hard drive Celeron crap.

Some people say 2.2 gigs ram and 400 gigs hard drive is too slow Is this true?

What’s the minimum I should get?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
All depends on what your doing with it..

Surf the web and word processing and all you need is a $550.00 to $700.00 basic BestBuy / Futureshop special..

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I hear that 4gigs or better Ram and at least 640 gigs hard drive.

I want to hang onto it for at least ten years

Do

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I hate to say this but at the rate of technology there is nothing that will last you 10 years..

My main PC has lasted about 4 years now and its outdated.. But it's not an out of the box PC, so I can upgrade parts of it as I wish.. Laptops are not as easy but the way of the future..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My computer has to be put out to pasture.

It’s a 256ram and 10 gigs hard drive Celeron crap.

Some people say 2.2 gigs ram and 400 gigs hard drive is too slow Is this true?

What’s the minimum I should get?

I have 4 gigs of RAM,
running at 2200 Mhz
200 gig hard drive
Advanced DVD drive
22 inch acer wide screen LCD monitor
a card reader to plug the camera into.
I got all this for under $700.00 in Nanaimo.
You could probably do better in a bigger city

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What do you want it to do? I'd go Alienware if I was into gaming and didn't mind brand name stuff. Hard drives are into TBs these days (that's a lot of storage), as Frank said, "All depends on what your doing with it..

Surf the web and word processing and all you need is a $550.00 to $700.00 basic BestBuy / Futureshop special..".
Our desktop is a Asus P5GD1 Motherboard, with Pent 4 processor, about 700 GB worth of hard drives, Audigy 2 sound card, Radeon 1650 graphics card I think, etc. Upgrading soon to 4 GB RAM from 2. Next vidcard will be 1GB memory. Thing is we can upgrade parts as we want to rather than have the thing shipped to a dealer for proprietary parts to be installed.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I have 4 gigs of RAM,
running at 2200 Mhz
200 gig hard drive
Advanced DVD drive
22 inch acer wide screen LCD monitor
a card reader to plug the camera into.
I got all this for under $700.00 in Nanaimo.
You could probably do better in a bigger city

Hi Juan, yes the cost of the computer in most stores is not the bulk of the cost of your PC.. I used to sell these and most PC mark up's are in the 4 to 8% margins and that is extremely low..

Where they get you is in the Software where they can get 100% profit..

Of course if you got the system and ran Ubuntu it would cost you $0 for software.. :)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I hate to say this but at the rate of technology there is nothing that will last you 10 years..
We bought our desktop in '87 and still have it. Lots of the parts have been replaced though.

My main PC has lasted about 4 years now and its outdated.. But it's not an out of the box PC, so I can upgrade parts of it as I wish.. Laptops are not as easy but the way of the future..
I wouldn't begin to try upgrading a laptop. Don't think I've even seen a custom built one. We have a Sony Vaio Z series and its a cool lil machine.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Our desktop is a Asus P5GD1 Motherboard, with Pent 4 processor, about 700 GB worth of hard drives, Audigy 2 sound card, Radeon 1650 graphics card I think, etc. Upgrading soon to 4 GB RAM from 2. Next vidcard will be 1GB memory. Thing is we can upgrade parts as we want to rather than have the thing shipped to a dealer for proprietary parts to be installed.

Exactly LG.. That is what I do and get Asus board myself.. ATI Video cards and used to get SB Sound Cards.. Hard Drives all used to be Quantum ( Now Maxtor ) but lately I have switched to Fujitsu for 3 year warranty. My Monitors are all Samsungs for 3 year warranty as well and the store I deal requires no receipt as they have known me for over 20 years.. I do upgrades when required and money permits..

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah. Custom is definitely the way to go for us. Our monitor is a 19 inch widescreen I-inc we bought when they cam out and is still doing well. Think we paid $140 for it. Speakers are Altec Lansings. Canon printer that cost about $70.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Juan, yes the cost of the computer in most stores is not the bulk of the cost of your PC.. I used to sell these and most PC mark up's are in the 4 to 8% margins and that is extremely low..

Where they get you is in the Software where they can get 100% profit..

Of course if you got the system and ran Ubuntu it would cost you $0 for software.. :)

I already had windows XP and some software from the last computer. I also have Ubuntu but I'm not quite ready to use it by itself.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Jeeeeeeeeeez. Juan is the second person to mention Ubuntu. Maybe worth snooping a bit into info here. I have a buddy who's constantly mentions Linux. But then he also mentioned to our paraplegic buddy, paragolfing. She spat back, "Not on your ******** life!!" lmao (Para friend commented on her fear of heights. I think she was referring to para-skiing or whatever it's called. She's gawdawful funny sometimes).

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Jeeeeeeeeeez. Juan is the second person to mention Ubuntu. Maybe worth snooping a bit into info here. I have a buddy who's constantly mentions Linux. But then he also mentioned to our paraplegic buddy, paragolfing. She spat back, "Not on your ******** life!!" lmao (Para friend commented on her fear of heights. I think she was referring to para-skiing or whatever it's called. She's gawdawful funny sometimes).

Les I use Hard Drive Trays for my home computer.. That way I can have my "Windows" hard drive and my "Ubuntu" drive that I can load at anytime without disrupting my system anytime..

Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux system to run.. Come fully loaded with Open office and Firefox..

It's pretty cool..

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
*feeling really pc illiterate* Hard drive trays?

Yes LG.. It's a two part tray that fits where your CD Rom drive goes ( if you have extra bays ). The inserts hold you Hard Drives and you can buy the extra insert for a second Hard Drive to swap. I have 5 Hard drives that I swap on a regular basis depending on what I am doing.. Very practical in the sense I can have a work drive and home drive so that work / home is never infected or mixed together.