Has something happened that I missed?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have been complaining of late that my computer was slowing down. It was getting to the point where just getting on to the internet would take 3 or 4 minutes. I'm running a 2.6 gigahertz AMD dual core processor that I've had for about a year. It is certainly not the fastest machine but it should be fast enough to surf the web and the bit of word processing that I do.
Something happened yesterday and all of a sudden my computer is as fast if not faster than it has ever been. There was, I believe, an update from Firefox a couple days ago but I don't know what it involved. I wonder if I had a virus in the system that AVG finally caught?
Any ideas?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Clean the dust out of the CPU heatsink and power supply. Heat will slow things down as much as software glitches.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Clean the dust out of the CPU heatsink and power supply. Heat will slow things down as much as software glitches.

This is where it confuses me. I vacuum the whole system every week or two so it wasn't that. I have a thermometer read out on the CPU and the temp did not rise above normal. The change was so dramatic I couldn't believe it. Meanwhile I like the change.