I need help with IM's

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
I have the latest version of Ubuntu and I use a ymail account. I have a friend who is with Yahoo. My system has "Pidgin" messaging embeded in it and I enabled this. Every time I tried to add him to my buddy list I got a message saying that I could not add him. When I tried again to add him I got a message saying that he was already there but he wasn't showing up on the buddy list.

Then for some reason when I clicked on my buddy list not only was he there but so were other people from my email contact list that use Yahoo. But when I went to his name I got a message saying that he was "not on server list".

I am not very computer literate having only had a laptop for less than a year. Am I missing some step in setting up this messaging system?

I should add that he can send me music and video files that are to large to go through regular email and we can converse if he initiates the contact but he doesn't receive anything from me if I try to send it.

I am hoping with all the members in this forum someone is knowledgeable enough about Ubuntu to be able to help me.

Thank you for any help you can give.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
*bump*

I am not able to help unfortunately, but I do know that there are some technological whizzes here that should be able to help.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Thank you for your concern. I did in fact go to the Ubuntu forum since I am registered.
They are very helpful there and together we solved the problem of the misbehaving "Pidgin" instant messaging.
They have helped me on more than one occasion but I need to be patient and wait for a reply. They always respond it just takes time.

Thank you again.