Is there a good, free, spyware remover??

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I haven't had a spyware remover program for quite a while. A few years ago I used Addaware, which was a free program from a company called lavasoft of something close to that. Does anyone know of a good, free, program to get rid of spyware?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I use AVG for my anti-virus and I use Ad-Aware for my spyware.

Actually lavasoft just released their "Anniversary Edition" of Ad-Aware. It's still free to download and use, and as far as I can tell, the Ad-Watch now comes included.

I have used Windows Defender (Useless) and I think it was called Spyware Doctor.... which also blowed chunks.

I've tried a couple of others in the past, but the only one I have noticed was capable of finding more then the other programs has been Ad-Aware.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I use Malware ad-bytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. I don't use an anti-virus program.

To be honest, after not running them for about a year, and then running them when I though I was having memory problems, I had no spyware. Just some tracking cookies which I was aware of.

I use ad-blocker plus and NoScript addons in firefox. Many people find it hard to navigate with, but the browser is really the main vector of entry for most malware these days, that and opening random forwards, which you should be able to avoid.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Free Stuff......Ad-Aware, Spybot-S&D, AVG, and Malwarebytes. I have them all.
I also use Postini Email (free through my Internet provider) and System Mechanic to
help keep everything running together and happy, as I wouldn't know how to do that
on my own. System Mechanic I purchased. I'm not computer savvy, so I just cast a
big net and hope it catch's whatever it needs to...

Juan, are you having a specific issue? I doubt I could offer you much advice, but some
bright person here might be able to.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Running Spybot, especially for the tea timer and immunization in tandem with AVG has worked perfectly for me.

DichotoMe

Nominee Member
Jan 6, 2009
CBI
I use spybot s&d on my girlfriends computer and it works fine. AVG sucked balls. She insists on Norton, god knows why. I honestly believe that nothing good is ever free, if you want a solution you will have to pay for it at some point.

The only solution to keep spy/ad/malware off your computer, so you don't have to worry about it at least, is to buy a Mac. I've watched my room mate waste so much time maintaining his Windows machine and when he finished he wouldn't let anyone use it. Hehe, don't waste your time. I've used a Windows based PC forever then about 5 years I ago changed over to a Mac and its been smooth sailing ever since. Microsoft software is garbage, use Linux or you can install Mac OS X Leopard on your pc, if you want one but can't afford one.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks people
My computer is about two years old. It is an AMD dual core processor running at 2.4 MGHRZ. About a month or two ago it started to slow down. My anti-virus can't seem to find anything and I wondered if the computer is full of spyware. Meanwhile it takes five minutes to start up. I'm very close to formatting the whole damn computer and starting again.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Defrag the drive, disable any unnecessary startup items via "msconfig"

Also check out your temp folders in windows and clear out as much as you can in those..... usually most spyware can be found in those folders.

For XP, there is one in C:\Windows\Temp and another in your C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp.

If it won't allow you to delete some files, they are currently being used, so restart and hit F8 before the XP splash and go into Safe Mode and delete them from there. (There is nothing important for OS stability within any of those folders, so don't worry about killing your system if you start deleting things in these folders)

Besides that, running Ad-Aware usually got rid of the rest of the junk.

After that, I'll run the anti-virus, then defrag, restart and my system is usually cleared up pretty good.

Sometimes when you install some programs, they'll also add extra crap on your system too, such as tool bars and search bars..... check out your Control Panel for obvious programs you don't want on your computer and remove them that way.

Other then that, the only other thing I could suggest is get Registry Mechanic to fix up the Registry from time to time.... that too can help speed things up.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The best system cleaup tool I have found is "CCcleaner" . It will remove various temp files, cached files and it also has a nice registry scanner which will flag redundant keys for removal.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I use spybot s&d on my girlfriends computer and it works fine. AVG sucked balls. She insists on Norton, god knows why. I honestly believe that nothing good is ever free, if you want a solution you will have to pay for it at some point.

The only solution to keep spy/ad/malware off your computer, so you don't have to worry about it at least, is to buy a Mac. I've watched my room mate waste so much time maintaining his Windows machine and when he finished he wouldn't let anyone use it. Hehe, don't waste your time. I've used a Windows based PC forever then about 5 years I ago changed over to a Mac and its been smooth sailing ever since. Microsoft software is garbage, use Linux or you can install Mac OS X Leopard on your pc, if you want one but can't afford one.

I think going out to buy a new MAC PC for Spyware is extreme and besides they are starting to target MACs as well..

Linux is not a bad choice an Ubuntu is easy to use..

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

Download it and run the ISO burn the ISO onto a CD Rom using Nero or so to decompress it properly..

From there it self installs like Windows from your CD Rom drive and is so easy to use.. You can install Open Office for free as well.. But keep in mind there is no support like you get for Windows.. But no Viruses and no Spyware..

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
There are linux viruses. If the national governments go open source, there will be more.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
There are linux viruses. If the national governments go open source, there will be more.

Yes of course my mistake.. There are Viruses and probably Spyware.. There are for everything from Computers to PDA and Cell phones.

MACs, Linux and Windows are all subject to it an I had made the inital statement..

But here is the advantage that no one will tell you.. Although Open Source is free and the National Governements may use it, it will only mean Microsoft / Symantecs will attack it with a vengence to get more money out of the cash cow it does not yet bleed to death..

AVG already offer programs for Linux for Antivirus..

Virus descriptions

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I use AVG for my anti-virus and I use Ad-Aware for my spyware.

Actually lavasoft just released their "Anniversary Edition" of Ad-Aware. It's still free to download and use, and as far as I can tell, the Ad-Watch now comes included.

I have used Windows Defender (Useless) and I think it was called Spyware Doctor.... which also blowed chunks.

I've tried a couple of others in the past, but the only one I have noticed was capable of finding more then the other programs has been Ad-Aware.

Anniversary Edition? Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out and see if I need to delete the current version I have or if it will just overwrite it.:cool: