Spam Emails

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
For the second time now, people on my contact list for Hotmail have gotten an email from me that I did not send. The title of the email says "Hello"(it even gets sent to me:roll:) and it basically talks about this asswipe's site where crap gets sold. I am not giving up my Hotmail account, and I have used several anti-spyware/virus programs. It has been a while since it got sent, so maybe I cleared it up and got it again somehow(maybe someone on my contact list gave it to me?)?

All I know is that it is really ticking me off, as I do not visit questionable sites and do not open email from people that I don't know.

I also don't feel like going to a store and getting this virus/spyware "professionally" done at the cost of my hard-earned money. I also do not want to reformat my harddrive as there are lots of things on there worth keeping.

If I performed a system restore, would that work? I've never used this before, so I am not sure what would happen. Would all the stuff I've saved onto my harddrive after that point be deleted or does it just work for Windows itself? Of course, I have never actually set a point(as far as I know) for system restore, so the time it reverts to could be when I first got my computer(almost 4 years ago).

Anyone else got any ideas? I don't think it is a major virus, but it is annoying.:-(

The stupid idiot's place has something to do with huahaibiz or something. Grrrrrr!

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Shadow, I'm not a computer tech but I'm quite sure doing a system restore won't fix that problem. And there's no need to pay for a spensive program when the best are free.

http://www.free-av.com/index.htm
Anti Malware - Comodo BOClean
Malwarebytes.org
|MG| SpywareBlaster 4.1

What you got is, I think, a trojan. It came in an email that you opened. It grabs your email addy and uses it to send out spam. I got one in my yahoo mail. The spam filters in those email programs should recognize it though and send it to the junk folder. It's annoying but not really harmful. Unless you got some super bad guy. 8O

Any of those programs above should find it, if it's actually on your computer. Otherwise it's just in your email. Nom sayin?

Good luck.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Shadow, I'm not a computer tech but I'm quite sure doing a system restore won't fix that problem. And there's no need to pay for a spensive program when the best are free.

http://www.free-av.com/index.htm
Anti Malware - Comodo BOClean
Malwarebytes.org
|MG| SpywareBlaster 4.1

What you got is, I think, a trojan. It came in an email that you opened. It grabs your email addy and uses it to send out spam. I got one in my yahoo mail. The spam filters in those email programs should recognize it though and send it to the junk folder. It's annoying but not really harmful. Unless you got some super bad guy. 8O

Any of those programs above should find it, if it's actually on your computer. Otherwise it's just in your email. Nom sayin?

Good luck.

Thanks.
Ill have to try those....I picked up something in the last 2 weeks thats attached itself to my computer and, seemingly, affecting only any and all `Google` searches! of all places. First 5 or 10 links at the bottom of each search result directs me to the usual suspect sites then gradually become relevant.

Anyone have similar symptoms?:-?

Last edited:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
JBeee, this might help you with Google. Adware 2009
I was just reading on another site about a person having the same problem. This was recommended.

But someone else said, "I know they're trying out some new search return protocols which are a bit sinister, have no idea if that is affecting things."

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
JBeee, this might help you with Google. Adware 2009
I was just reading on another site about a person having the same problem. This was recommended.

But someone else said, "I know they're trying out some new search return protocols which are a bit sinister, have no idea if that is affecting things."

Im to thinking the latter of your answer might be evolving with this medium.

Thanks for the link.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
For the second time now, people on my contact list for Hotmail have gotten an email from me that I did not send. The title of the email says "Hello"(it even gets sent to me:roll:) and it basically talks about this asswipe's site where crap gets sold. I am not giving up my Hotmail account, and I have used several anti-spyware/virus programs. It has been a while since it got sent, so maybe I cleared it up and got it again somehow(maybe someone on my contact list gave it to me?)?

All I know is that it is really ticking me off, as I do not visit questionable sites and do not open email from people that I don't know.

I also don't feel like going to a store and getting this virus/spyware "professionally" done at the cost of my hard-earned money. I also do not want to reformat my harddrive as there are lots of things on there worth keeping.

If I performed a system restore, would that work? I've never used this before, so I am not sure what would happen. Would all the stuff I've saved onto my harddrive after that point be deleted or does it just work for Windows itself? Of course, I have never actually set a point(as far as I know) for system restore, so the time it reverts to could be when I first got my computer(almost 4 years ago).

Anyone else got any ideas? I don't think it is a major virus, but it is annoying.:-(

The stupid idiot's place has something to do with huahaibiz or something. Grrrrrr!

Hi shadowshiv, I have done a lot of computer repairs in my life so here are a few clues.. The number 1 is most probably the source of your problems.. I would chekc who has your MSN address ( if you use Messenger ) or who you have emailed since these have started.. Ask them if they have had a Virus recently..

1) Your email address maybe being taken by someone else from one of your freinds computers and it maybe theirs that is infected and not yours.. This has happened to me in the past..

2) Cumputer Viruses / Grayware / Malware changes everyday.. You will never be able to keep up unless you stay informed..

3) Said1 Gave you a great site to use in TrendMicro. It is great to remove all those above should they be on your computer, but keep in mind you must check it from time to time..

4) Programs to AVOID no matter how CUTE and check it out before installing it to see if othyers have had problems with it first. Maybe even check TrendMicro's web site. ( SmileyCentral, HotBar )

5) Here is a great spam FREE ( basic version with ads ) filter I use for Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and I believe it works for many others.. Spam Filter for Outlook and Express, Windows Mail and Servers - SPAMfighter

Good Spam Fighting...

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Gee, well that is no fun at all. I didn't even know that could be done! I hope it all gets sorted out without too many headaches!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Hi shadowshiv, I have done a lot of computer repairs in my life so here are a few clues.. The number 1 is most probably the source of your problems.. I would chekc who has your MSN address ( if you use Messenger ) or who you have emailed since these have started.. Ask them if they have had a Virus recently..

1) Your email address maybe being taken by someone else from one of your freinds computers and it maybe theirs that is infected and not yours.. This has happened to me in the past..

2) Cumputer Viruses / Grayware / Malware changes everyday.. You will never be able to keep up unless you stay informed..

3) Said1 Gave you a great site to use in TrendMicro. It is great to remove all those above should they be on your computer, but keep in mind you must check it from time to time..

4) Programs to AVOID no matter how CUTE and check it out before installing it to see if othyers have had problems with it first. Maybe even check TrendMicro's web site. ( SmileyCentral, HotBar )

5) Here is a great spam FREE ( basic version with ads ) filter I use for Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and I believe it works for many others.. Spam Filter for Outlook and Express, Windows Mail and Servers - SPAMfighter

Good Spam Fighting...

I'm pretty sure that it is my computer that is infected, as I have noticed that some of my emails have been deleted, and I did not do the deleting. I swear, asswipes that create this crap should get shot in the kneecaps.:angryfire:

That Windows Mail would work for Hotmail? If so, that would be sweet.

I created a new hotmail account tonight, and saved the emails that were special to me. It will be for that purpose only, so I won't have to worry about them accessing that one, as no one will be my contact, so I should not get ANY emails from anyone. If I get any, they will get deleted instantly.

I will also try that Trendmicro one when I go to bed.

I know that a couple of members here are on my contact list. How many times have they gotten spam from me? As far as I know, this has only happened twice(when it tried to send them to people's email addresses that were no longer valid). I hope it's not happened too many times.:-(

With something like this, it would only affect my email, right? It doesn't look like anything else has been affected(no one pretending to be me at any of the sites I belong to), which is good. I also do not do any online transactions, so the bastard can't hurt me that way.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Shadow, you should scan your pc for rootkits/trojans. If you suspect your e-mail account has been hacked, it is probably due to one of the above.

Download and run "highjack this" |MG| HijackThis 1.99.1
After it finishes its scan, it will spit out a log that shows all running processes & services, from there you can google the process/service name in order to determine if they are legit.

Your best bet would probably be a complete format though.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
So you think that it is just the email that got hacked? Is there a way for me to change the password in Hotmail or am I stuck in that regards.

The rootkit program you suggested to me earlier was good, but it would not delete everything it found unless I had the "full" version which cost about $30. I checked my 'Security Center' on my Control Panel and it is working again. For some reason before, I stated that it was not set up properly. I ran Spybot and it had that as one of the things "found". I had Spybot clean up everything and now it works like it was always supposed to. I wonder what would have caused that glitch before and why it would show up on Spybot.

The firewall and Internet Security features were still all active at the time of the glitch though, so I don't think it was anything bad.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well, it sounds like you are back in business anyways. Shadow, you should have a program running all the time though which will block the spyware before it can infect the system. Spybot or Ad-Aware would do the job.

Do you have a router or do you hook up directly to your modem?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My Internet Provider (Sasktel) provides (free with their service) an Email
filter-type thing (please excuse my lack of terminology) called "Postini" and
you wouldn't believe the weird stuff it filters out (you get a weekly report).
I also run AVG & Ad-Aware. Here's a link to Postini: https://www.postini.com/

Ask DurkaDurka's advice about it. He sounds very knowledgeable. Check
with your Email provider, as they might already have something like I'm
describing that you're already paying for (part of the service, but you might
just have to sign up and get a pass-word for). I'm really the wrong person to
offer anyone computer advice.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I've had some weird stuff. One would close my browser if I typed virus, norton or any number virus protection programs in the browerser! When all else fails, I try the free scan here; Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA

Good Luck!

I would love to get that to work, but for some reason I get to the part where it wants me to 'Run' the file and just stays there. I cannot get any further in the process. It was the same for my older computer as well. Maybe there is some internet security setting that I have that is preventing it from working correctly? I tried both the 6.5 and 6.6(prerelease) versions and got the same results.:-(

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I would love to get that to work, but for some reason I get to the part where it wants me to 'Run' the file and just stays there. I cannot get any further in the process. It was the same for my older computer as well. Maybe there is some internet security setting that I have that is preventing it from working correctly? I tried both the 6.5 and 6.6(prerelease) versions and got the same results.:-(

I know at one point I wasn't scrolling down far enough to see the "I accept" check box. Also, I was picking the wrong kernel option (or whatever) that caused problems too. Also, don't click the 'try it' link because it's already scanning. The red tab at the top 'results' is the link you want./. It took me a few tries to get it right! Oh, and one more thing, the bottom left of the browser window (it should say 'done' in this window) is where it shows scanning progress. Not very user friendly as they have something to sell I guess!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I know at one point I wasn't scrolling down far enough to see the "I accept" check box. Also, I was picking the wrong kernel option (or whatever) that caused problems too. Also, don't click the 'try it' link because it's already scanning. The red tab at the top 'results' is the link you want./. It took me a few tries to get it right! Oh, and one more thing, the bottom left of the browser window (it should say 'done' in this window) is where it shows scanning progress. Not very user friendly as they have something to sell I guess!

I think it is the kernel thing that is giving me problems. I will try it again tonight to see if I can solve the Trendmicro mystery.;-)