Wikipedia meets US$6 million fundraising goal

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
So all you Wikipedia fans ( me included ) will be glad to hear Jimmy Wales reached his goal of 6 million dollars to keep the site going in Donations..

Do you use Wikipedia and if so do you always back it up or check the reference page below.. I know I always check and have found some of the references not valid and will not quote it if so.. But as a matter of quick information it can be useful. It is however not an ACCURATE tool and cannot be used as one..

That said, can someone think of a 100% accurate site of information as everyone is subject to errors. Yes even big factual errors..

CTV.ca | Wikipedia meets US$6 million fundraising goal

Donate/ThankYou/en

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think the site is worthy of the donations it received. It's an invaluable resource and it's free. Granted, it is not always accurate but it does a pretty good job regardless.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's hard to fathom that a website operated by volunteers needs $6 million to get a facelift and stay afloat.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Kreskin and DurkaDurka, within my post below was the Donation ThankYou from Jimmy Wales. It list some of the reasons for the Donation request. Durka is right in Bandwidth but there is so much more.. Here is in quotes the comment from Jimmy..

Thank you from Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales

Dear Reader,
Since July 1, more than 125,000 of you have donated $4 million. In addition, we've received major gifts and foundation support totaling $2 million. This combined revenue will cover our operating expenses for the current fiscal year, ending June 30, 2009.
Your donation makes you a key supporter of the free culture movement, and pays for:

• Day-to-day operations: servers, hosting, bandwidth, our staff of just 23 people.
  • Continued development & improvements of open source software that powers all Wikimedia projects.
  • Outreach events like Wikipedia Academies: in-person workshops where you can learn more about how to use and edit Wikipedia.
  • Volunteer support: helping our international volunteer community to grow and to continue to do amazing work.