Windows 7 shmozzle

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Tuesday, September 23rd Windows 7 to drop e-mail, media editing apps

Microsoft will make many of its previously standard bundled apps optional with the launch of Windows 7, the company said late Monday. While Vista came with copies of Windows Mail, Movie Maker and Photo Gallery regardless of the edition, the sequel operating system will now remove those entirely and make available only downloadable versions that can tap into Windows Live. The company argues that the move will ensure a quicker turnaround for the launch of the next Windows version and that it lets Microsoft work with firms in the future to customize the experience. No explanation is given for how this would work, though Microsoft in the aftermath of antitrust rulings has had to agree to deals which saw different web browsers and other apps replace its own in PC bundles.

The update also saves Microsoft the challenge of supporting two distinct but functionally equivalent apps in some cases.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/09/23/win.7.to.drop.apps/

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Not that big of a deal in the bigger scheme of things. Web based apps are arguably better then the listed apps with the exception of Movie Maker.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I would prefer if Microsoft stripped all of the bloat apps out of Windows and developed a system similar to Debian based Linux distros which allows you to download and install the software you want via the "apt-get" command.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not that big of a deal in the bigger scheme of things. Web based apps are arguably better then the listed apps with the exception of Movie Maker.

True enough, but what do you bet that as soon as Windows 7 hits the market, there will be another new and wonderful Windows OP right behind it.

My wife is buying a new computer that is equipped with Vista........By the time she gets up and running, she will likely already be two OPs behind.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
True enough, but what do you bet that as soon as Windows 7 hits the market, there will be another new and wonderful Windows OP right behind it.

My wife is buying a new computer that is equipped with Vista........By the time she gets up and running, she will likely already be two OPs behind.

If you compare the time between XP release and Vista release, a 3 year development cycle for coming OS's is not all that bad.

Apple releases incremental updates yearly to OSX for which they charge, so I don't feel all that bad if I have to buy a new OS license every 3 years or so.

I wouldn't worry about your wives PC being out of date when she gets it, Windows 7 won't be released until 2010, if they meet their deadlines.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Durka

My experience is a bit different from yours. Being naturally cheap, I hung on to Win 3.1 as long as I possibly could.....the same with 95 and 98. I kept 98 untill just a couple years ago when I changed to XP. My wife is still using 98. She does a lot of geneology searches and things that don't require the latest windows OP. I hope to use XP till 2010 at least. I will probably update XP to Windows 7 when I have to.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Juan,

I can see where you are coming from, most pc owners are probably like your self.

I update when new OS's come out due to me being a tech junky, same with hardware etc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan,

I can see where you are coming from, most pc owners are probably like your self.

I update when new OS's come out due to me being a tech junky, same with hardware etc.

I can't believe I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird for five years. Before that, I used Netscape. These are the two programs that I use 90 percent of the time. Both can be used with Linix. What do I need Windows for?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well, that's the way the industry is moving. Uncoupling applications from the OS is a good thing in my opinion.

The only localized programs I use these days are Firefox, Games and various utilities which wouldn't make good web apps. All my e-mail is done via gmail these days, I like not having to worry about backing up my saved messages etc and being able to access my mail from anywhere.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Eudora eh? I used that for a short time back in the late 90's....

I use Outlook at work, but that's only because our mail system is Exchange based.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I just got a quad CPU HP a couple of weeks ago, with Vista on it..... I have no issues with Vista, besides a few of my favorite quick buttons I used to use all the time now being gone, but other then that, I have no issues with it..... chances are, I'll be sticking with vista for a while until it can not run any of the new programs out there.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I just got a quad CPU HP a couple of weeks ago, with Vista on it..... I have no issues with Vista, besides a few of my favorite quick buttons I used to use all the time now being gone, but other then that, I have no issues with it..... chances are, I'll be sticking with vista for a while until it can not run any of the new programs out there.

How you liking your Quad Core? I have had one for close to a year now, they are wicked for video encoding + gaming + whatever all at once :)

There are some pretty cool mods you can do to Vista by replacing the uxtheme.dll with a modified one. There are some good example at deviantart.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Eudora eh? I used that for a short time back in the late 90's....

I use Outlook at work, but that's only because our mail system is Exchange based.

Since I set up a bunch of the laptops at work, I convinced those people to let my put Eudora on them, and they love it. The IT guys always claim the reason something doesn't work is because 'oh, you have Eudora, that's why the printer doesn't work'....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
How you liking your Quad Core? I have had one for close to a year now, they are wicked for video encoding + gaming + whatever all at once :)

There are some pretty cool mods you can do to Vista by replacing the uxtheme.dll with a modified one. There are some good example at deviantart.

I haven't done much with it yet... a little bit of photoshop here and there, but haven't had much time.... well.... long periods of time in between things to start anything fancy so far.

But I have no complaints so far.... beats the old Athlon 2400+XP single CPU i've been using.