So much for Mac OS X security...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The only reason why they claim Macs are more secure then PC's is because most hackers in the past couldn't be bothered with Macs because of the low amount of users/owners of them compared to PC's.... Windows was a bigger target and thus most went that way for hacking. Now that macs are becoming about par with Microsoft, you'll start to see more problems with Macs.

But I'm not that shocked. I've used them in the past for work, and considdering how much the buggers froze up, crashed, made me lose my work, I figured it wouldn't take much to make them goto crap.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Unix based OS's are are more difficult to exploit, but it can and does happen.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

You know, that actually does relate a lot better for both PC and Mac.... most of the people I worked for or with who used Macs for their business were pretty.... er... *flicks wrist*

But re-looking at that picture, I can see PC MSN'ing his wife telling her he's gonna be working late and then heading out to Pick up Mac for the night.

johai

Time Out
Mar 23, 2008
Canada - Golden Triangle
The only reason why they claim Macs are more secure then PC's is because most hackers in the past couldn't be bothered with Macs because of the low amount of users/owners of them compared to PC's.... Windows was a bigger target and thus most went that way for hacking. Now that macs are becoming about par with Microsoft, you'll start to see more problems with Macs.

But I'm not that shocked. I've used them in the past for work, and considdering how much the buggers froze up, crashed, made me lose my work, I figured it wouldn't take much to make them goto crap.
First, it's not hacking but cracking, to hack is to tweak and make the application work better and faster. Forget your Macs & PCs go to a Ubuntu. Cracked only13 times in 2007, Microsoft cracked over 1000 times a month in the same year.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Looks like the Vista machine went down on the third day, third round of hacking... I mean cracking.

If you didn't know, the third day, third round involves third party extensions and software. So the reason Vista went down was because of an exploit used in the Adobe flash player application.

Now, you have to consider the following:
The most important rule is of the event is that if an exploit was found in one machine/OS, the same exploit can't be used on the other machines/OS (cross-platform exploits).

So that being said, the exploit on the Macbook is entirely Apples fault because it was with Safari which is created by them. Safari also runs on Windows, so it is not known whether the exploit will work on Windows machines.

The exploit on the Vista machine was through Adobe's Flashplayer. It also runs on Macs and Linux machines so it is not known whether this exploit will bring down those machines as well.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
First, it's not hacking but cracking, to hack is to tweak and make the application work better and faster. Forget your Macs & PCs go to a Ubuntu. Cracked only13 times in 2007, Microsoft cracked over 1000 times a month in the same year.

Actually, you are wrong on all accounts.

Hacking is the non malicious exploitation, discovery, penetration of systems/software. A blackhat cracker is more commonly associated with "cracking" as they do this for monetary gain.

Cracking is when someone breaks/disables copy protection on media in order to pirate it. Such as creating serial number generators, removal of macrovision, trial period resets etc