Has anyone used the latest Safari Browser?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I got a bit of spam on the weekend that offered a free download of this Apple browser for Windows. Out of curiosity, I downloaded it, and I've been fiddling with it for a couple days. My initial take is that it is very similar to Firefox in operation but maybe a bit faster. Here is a link for anyone who's interested:

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I used Safari briefly, I found it to be slow and lacking the everyday extensions I used with Firefox.

It's one of those applications which works better in it's native environment, in my opinion.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ugh...Apple.....Apple is for retards...alllllll flashy and easy to use with big things to click on and crap.....NEVER

I don't agree. Till now, I've considered Mozilla Firefox to be the best browser out there in terms of quickness and security. Safari is a bit quicker and both work better than I.E..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I used Safari briefly, I found it to be slow and lacking the everyday extensions I used with Firefox.

It's one of those applications which works better in it's native environment, in my opinion.

You could be right Durka. So far I've found it to be quite a bit bit quicker than even Firefox. Could this be a newer version than the one you tried? Nothing is cast in stone but I'll stay with it for a few more days anyway to give it a fair test.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I love my apply computer! I use safari all the time, and I prefer it over firefox which just drives me nuts for some reason.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You could be right Durka. So far I've found it to be quite a bit bit quicker than even Firefox. Could this be a newer version than the one you tried? Nothing is cast in stone but I'll stay with it for a few more days anyway to give it a fair test.

I found it quite slow to launch, ie double clicking the icon. Page rendering varied depending on the type of media embedded in it.

All in all, it's a decent browser but I can't foresee it making much inroads on the windows platform due to it's niche market. If I knew that it would properly render all sites I regularly visit & it has all the plugins I use with Firefox, I would give it a closer look.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Durka

I find Safari to be very similar to Firefox. My only complaint so far is the drab colours..(grey and black)...Though you can probably change that sort of thing.

BTW, Have you ever considered running the Apple OS on Windows. In the same spam I mentioned earlier there was an offer of "Gemulator" that would allow you to do just that.

http://www.emulators.com/

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Durka

I find Safari to be very similar to Firefox. My only complaint so far is the drab colours..(grey and black)...Though you can probably change that sort of thing.

BTW, Have you ever considered running the Apple OS on Windows. In the same spam I mentioned earlier there was an offer of "Gemulator" that would allow you to do just that.

http://www.emulators.com/

I have run OSX on my home built before, finding drivers for hardware can be a real pain though. If you go to pirates bay, they have a bunch of modified leopard install disks that will allow you install OSX on a normal windows box.

To run OSX on a normal pc, you need to have a modified ISO image that spoofs part of the BIOS check the install looks

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In my final analysis, it is all but impossible to use an Apple OS on a windows machine. It is not impossible, but at the moment, it is far too much trouble to bother with.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, it is a huge pain to get Mac OS to run on a windows machine but it can be done.
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You really need to be familiar with hardware & drivers though

Therein lies the problem. It is a bigger pain than I want to put up with. But thanks..
I want to get out of Windows............I thought the Apple OS was maybe the way to go but I'm just not comfortable with all the hassle.....The other option was to buy the Apple Mini .

So, Linux it is......Likely Ubunto.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ubuntu is a decent Linux distro.

I have VMware server installed on my machine which allows me to install multiple "guest OS's", in other worsds virtual machines. You should consider trying WMware Juan, that way you can try out different linux builds within Windows, allowing you to determine whats best for you. As long as you have a dual core CPU + 2gb of RAM, you should be good to go.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At the moment I only have one gig of RAM on my newest computer. I have the AMD 64 bit x 2 dual core processor. Do I need Intel?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ram is fairly cheap these days. I'll pick up another gig this afternoon. I swear computers are as bad as heroin...........;-):lol:. Anybody want a gig or three of assorted RAM that doesn't fit my new computer?....:roll:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think I can put in seven gig of RAM but I don't think Windows will handle more than four. When I lived in the lower mainland a lot of computer stores would buy your old RAM chips. I have about two dozen that don't fit my present, or probably any new computer.