Cool traffic simulator, if you're a geek :D

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I haven't driven that much, but I thought it was pretty accurate too. Seemingly small changes can make a huge difference. Changing from 1400-1500 cars per hour in the lane change for instance causes a huge log jam. Of course, increasing trucks clogs the arteries too.

Want to see something really cool? Check out the traffic circle in the java link, and then watch this experiment with real drivers in a traffic circle. Pretty much bang on.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You can have the traffic at full tilt and it flows but at half traffic and adding the on ramp it bottlenecks. Interesting.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
It doesn't matter how hard you try you can't hold a steady speed. so one guy drops a few km and the guy behind gains a few km and then they have a 5 or 6 km difference so behind guy has to drop 12 km to correct, bingo. Once it starts it's like the wave at a stadium.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It doesn't matter how hard you try you can't hold a steady speed. so one guy drops a few km and the guy behind gains a few km and then they have a 5 or 6 km difference so behind guy has to drop 12 km to correct, bingo. Once it starts it's like the wave at a stadium.

Yup. Happened to me all the time in Calgary this summer. That plus the lanes closures for the construction crews.

Also the traffic lights thing. I think that's why some cities went to green light routes, or whatever the hell they call them.