Website Hosting Companies

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Hi, folks. I am looking for web-host recommendations. I am getting involved with the Parent Advisory Counsel (PAC) at my son’s elementary school and they are considering setting up their own website, so now I am shopping around for a potential web-hosting company. We are located in Vancouver, Canada, so (ideally) the company would be BC-based, but if it were based elsewhere in Canada that would be okay too. If you have experience with web pages and hosting companies, and can recommend a good one (or two), I’d be interested to hear your suggestions. Also, if you know of any companies that give discounts to educational groups, or even seek out such groups, that would be good too. (However, our top priority is rock-solid hosting, a discount for being an education-related group is a secondary priority.) The site itself will be pretty basic: text, images, hyperlinks, etc.; we do not anticipate the need for Java, MySQL, PHP, etc. capabilities. So . . . I look forward to seeing your recommendations. Regards. David

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So far the best most reasonably priced I have used is CanadianWebhosting.com . I've tried a few "discount" hosts. Most are just cheap. These guys are good. Reliability, unlimited mysql databases etc.

P.S. they are also located in Vancouver. If you ever need to knock on their door you can.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Thanks for the suggestion, Kreskin. I have also been referred to canadawebhosting.com and ehosting.ca. Telus (the phone company) also hosts websites, but they are a bit on the expensive side and I think it is better to go with a company that focuses on one thing: hosting websites. I am going to keep looking to see what else is out there. Once I get a bunch of options listed, then we'll have to make a decision whether or not we'll proceed with one of them. Regards. David

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Do you not get some free webspace from your isp?

Yes, I do; however, I am using it for my own web stuff. I suppose some of the other parents on the PAC have free webspace from Telus or Shaw too, but I suspect those companies have a policy against using the free webspace for non-personal usage. In any case, we would prefer to plan long-term, without having to worry about relying on how long we can use an individual's webspace. If we buy a domain, then it is ours for as long as we want.

Regards.

David