Are text and emoticons enough for communication in a forum?

Would you miss the audio part of verbal communication?

• I would, because there are nuances can only be conveyed with intonation and:

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I would not, because you can be more articulate in writing and:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It would be really good to combine the two, because they can complement each other and:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SwitSof

Electoral Member
I heard some criticism that people who spend heaps of time to communicate to others in writing by using text and emoticons may lose the ability to communicate verbally by playing with the intonation or the tone of one's voice. I'm not including gestures/body language here cause it even makes it more complicated.
Do you reckon tone/intonation plays a big part in verbal communication?

Am curious whether colour, font size, capital/small letters and the variation, even writing you're making sounds like type "snif" to convey the sniffing sound.
Like if you see one's writing in all capital letters and even worse in bright screaming red colour, you'll imagine the writer/poster is talking loudly or even shouting angrily.
Can't think of any other colour that can be conveyed like that nor writing in all small letters for example.

So the question is say you're stuck in a remote place all alone and the only way to communicate to other people are only by using forums and the likes so only using texts and emoticons, would you miss the voice/audio? Again pretend gestures and body language are things you don't take into account or can ignore.