Windows to Mac?

Toro

Senate Member
I am tired of all the issues with Windows, particularly the security stuff. So, for the first time I am considering buying a Mac.

Has anyone gone from Windows to Mac? If so, what has been your experience? What are the strengths and weaknesses of Mac? I have heard there are issues with streaming videos and games.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Toro:

Mac's are fine for every day office work, multimedia, design programs etc. Mac's are also relatively secure as it is built on top of a Unix Kernal and it's not easily hacked. New Mac's use the same hardware as dell/HP etc, so it is also possible to duel boot Mac/Windows/Linux. Be prepared to pay a premium for a Mac though, they are significantly more expensive then an equivalent dell/hp.

Toro

Senate Member
I don't mind paying more Durka - though, of course, given the choice, I'd rather not. However, I'm tired of being frustrated by Windows with all the security stuff and crap that gets on my computer. I cannot access the Internet unless I am in safe mode because of all the s*** that has happened with firewalls and scanning software. Plus, PCs seem to wear out fast. I just bought this thing 18 months ago.

I spend thousands of dollars more to buy Japanese cars because they're more reliable and I know I'll probably spend less on repairs, so why not spend hundreds of dollars more for the same reasons for a computer?

I'm really more concerned about operability though, things like games for my son, watching videos, using Microsoft Office, etc.

garland897

May 24, 2007
BC
You can use microsoft office on a mac, you just need to get the mac edition. As for games, macs don't have very many downloadable games for it. The only one I can think of that would work for it is World of Warcraft. You can watch videos on a mac no problem if yo download the Windows Media Player for it.