New Pc, Yee haa

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I Built my new PC today, needless to say it's fast. I usually rebuild every 2 years, this one is my favourite so far I think. I picked up:

- Intel Core 2, 6400. 2.15ghz dual core CPU
- 2 GB OCZ Platinim RAM
- Nvidia 8800GTS, 640mb video card
- Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
- Wester Digital 500gb SATA HD
- Antec full size case
- OCZ 600W modular Power Supply
- Generic DVD bruner

Building PC's rocks! I never got this sort of satisfaction buying from dell etc.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Mines homemade too.....its such a rush creating your own. I dont do mother boards though. I pay 60 to have them put in. mines an Asus too though. Its a great company

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
How about a few tips on building your own Web Server?

That's somethig I can use real fast.

Pretty much any type of PC can function as a web server. Is it for a small homepage or do you plan or running mysql, php etc? If the box had a 1.5ghz cpu, 1gb of RAM, 100gb drive you could have a decent server. Then you have to decide whether you want to run Windows/Linux, IIS/Apache. Also, if it is hosted on a dsl/cable connection, some ISP's will block incoming connections of port 80, which would mean you would have to set up some port forwarding on it.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I Built my new PC today, needless to say it's fast. I usually rebuild every 2 years, this one is my favourite so far I think. I picked up:

- 2 GB OCZ Platinim RAM
- Antec full size case
- Generic DVD bruner

Building PC's rocks! I never got this sort of satisfaction buying from dell etc.

I'm impressed. I'm computer savy enough to know how to turn it on, beyond that.....

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
That's a rockin rig man. Guess your serious into gamming cuz your video card has more memory than my PC's at work, only 512 there. Shouldn't have any problem with Vista if you sucum to it.:)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That's a rockin rig man. Guess your serious into gamming cuz your video card has more memory than my PC's at work, only 512 there. Shouldn't have any problem with Vista if you sucum to it.:)

Ya, gaming is one of my vices. I bit the bullet and bought Vista, runs pretty smooth so far. That's the first Microsoft product I have paid for since about Windows 98, lol.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I hear you, I am on call tech support for my parents. Unless you grew up with pc's, they can be rather intimidating.

So is my son. He seems to have the "knack". My husband rarely touches a PC. He uses it at work and that is about the extent of his interest in computers.

My kids weren't raised with computers. Didn't have them in the 1970's when they were little. In the 1980's, we did buy those Apple things and another one whose name escapes me at the moment, but no internet.

Still, they have all adapted quite more easily than their parents to these things;-)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ya, gaming is one of my vices. I bit the bullet and bought Vista, runs pretty smooth so far. That's the first Microsoft product I have paid for since about Windows 98, lol.

I never paid for one until XP. My son kept all my PCs cracked and working, but it just got to be too much of a hassle cuz while I'm computer literate I'm not really a techy. So now I'm legal on 4 comps, the one last cracked one won't run worth a crap but it's a PII 450 mhz so I think I'll just part it out.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You could always turn the old PC into a server of sorts, I usually just stick a big drive in my older pc's an store all my music etc on it, then share the drive out to the network. That way I can stream music to other pc's, xbox.

Microsoft has made it too dificult now to run cracked version of XP, they have banned thousands of Serial numbers, making it impossible to update or install new microsoft software.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
do you notice anything different with a dual core CPU? I've always gone with AMDs

Windows seems to be more responsive with the dual cores, I can be installing a program and browsing the web, listening to music with no slow down. I have always gone with AMD until now, the new intels thoroughly spank AMD's current offerings though. AMD will probably regain the performance crown when they shrink they die size down to 65nm.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
whilst researching my thesis i came across several papers which suggested that below 50nm, it becomes pretty much impossible to dope the silica evenly enough. it seems that 65nm isnt far from the smallest it can be. the silicon wall approaches. Nanotechnology will reign supreme

asagan

Feb 14, 2007
do you notice anything different with a dual core CPU? I've always gone with AMDs

Stick with AMD. My intel dual core laptop is very disappointing. I have built many computers and always went with AMD and this year when I build another one there is absolutely no way I am going with Intel.
My multitasking is much better on my older AMD then the new dual core Intel. Intel blows.

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
- 2 GB OCZ Platinim RAM
- Antec full size case
- Generic DVD bruner

How about an itemised cost?

plus,

fans - one, two, more - surely that system must run tres warm and hot. . . .

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Stick with AMD. My intel dual core laptop is very disappointing. I have built many computers and always went with AMD and this year when I build another one there is absolutely no way I am going with Intel.
My multitasking is much better on my older AMD then the new dual core Intel. Intel blows.

I have an AMD 2600 and I tend to have a bit of a heat problem. I've added a fan up front but if I don't crack the case and blow out the heat sink at least once a month then I start to get a higher CPU temp. I never had this problem with my intels. Is this something they have addressed in the last few years. I'm in the market so I want something trouble free.:)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
How about an itemised cost?

plus,

fans - one, two, more - surely that system must run tres warm and hot. . . .

Video Card - $580.00
RAM - $300.00
CPU - $300.00
Motherboard $300.00
Power Supply - $200.00
Case - $180.00
500gb Harddrive - $150
Windows Vista Home Premium - $120.00

The system has 3 5 inch fans, one on the top, one at the back and one down by the hard drive cage. The case is full size, so there is plenty of air circulation.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

my old machine is based on an Athlon 64 3200+, the new intel rig destroys it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Believe it or not, I have another new computer as well

My wife's computer packed it in, so she now has my,(used to be new), computer.

I have gone with an AMD Athlon 64 fx dual core processor on an ASRock motherboard. I have a gig of RAM and I've kept my 256gig hard drive. I did get a new tower case and power supply. At the moment I have about 6 or 7 extra used tower cases.

The machine is pretty fast....more than fast enough for my purposes.