Windows Activation Problem

azhar5i

Jul 1, 2006
London
Hi, I have a Macbook and I've spent the day installing Boot Camp and I have Windows up and running except I can't get the activation to work. I am using the windows cd from my parents laptop (Dell) and Microsoft refuses to accept the Product Key on the activation screen. This will only be the second computer that will install Windows with this key so I thought that was okay?

Any help appreciated.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
It should be ok. What is the error? It should tell you if you have exceeded the number of 'approved' installs for this particular cd.

Is it a dell cd or one from microsoft? I haven't used a non-ms cd in a few years so there may be an issue if it's a dell cd and you are trying to use it to install on a machine other than the original.

Can you tell us what exactly is the error you are getting when you try to use the key?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
RE: Windows Activation Pr

Dell keys will not work with anything other then a dell, I believe they tie their product keys to some sort of identifier in the Dell System.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
Re: RE: Windows Activation Pr

DurkaDurka said:
Dell keys will not work with anything other then a dell, I believe they tie their product keys to some sort of identifier in the Dell System.
It's the same with HP (Hewlett Packard) what they do is bascially engrave the Product Key into the Hard drive, so even if you redo your operating system it will still be there. I know I learned the hard way...

I used to know how to get it to work, but i'm living on 2 hours of sleep right now so I can't remember.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
azhar5i said:
Hi, I have a Macbook and I've spent the day installing Boot Camp and I have Windows up and running except I can't get the activation to work. I am using the windows cd from my parents laptop (Dell) and Microsoft refuses to accept the Product Key on the activation screen. This will only be the second computer that will install Windows with this key so I thought that was okay?

Any help appreciated.

Yeah, everyone is right. That product key will only work on your Dell. You will have to go and buy a new copy of Windows XP with a new product key.

And by the way, it is illegal to use your CD to install Windows on more than one computer.