Has anyone used Skype?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Skype is a computer telephone that seems to blow most other phones out of the water. Till the end of the year you can make calls within the U.S, and Canada for nothing. International calls require you to buy a membership for 30 Euros/year.

I believe you will need a microphone or a headset to make this system work.

Has anyone heard about this?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I've been using Skype ever since I moved to Germany a year ago. I can say that it's pretty good. The skypeout (skype to landline calls) service has had it's moments when it's buggy and fuzzy... but overall, who can complain about free clear pc-pc calls?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks Andem

I recieved an e-mail add about something entirely different and there just happened to be a link to Skype. I thought maybe it sounded to good to br true.

Tell me, do you use a headset or just a microphone? I apparently don't have an onboard microphone on my computer. Is there a way to make an ordinary phone work on the computer?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think I've figured it out . There is a USB adapter that should work very nicely. Staples should have them. I can either use an ordinary phone with that adapter or a Skype compatible headset.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
#juan said:
Skype is a computer telephone that seems to blow most other phones out of the water. Till the end of the year you can make calls within the U.S, and Canada for nothing. International calls require you to buy a membership for 30 Euros/year.

I believe you will need a microphone or a headset to make this system work.

Has anyone heard about this?

I agree: Skype is pretty good. But I don't like dealing with a headset or microphone.

There is another, similar, service available that is supposed to be better than Skype:

http://www.jajah.com/

With this service, you can just go through your regular phone:

1. Register with JaJah. Give them your phone number.

2. Enter the phone number you want to call.

3. Your landline phone rings. Pick it up and you'll hear it calling
your buddy's number.

4. Talk. If your buddy is JaJah registered, it's a free call;
otherwise .025/minute in U.S. And Canada. (International calls slightly more expensive.)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
DavidB

Thanks for the info. I've already started with Skype and it seems pretty simple with the headset. I'll take advantage of the free calls to the U.S. and Canada till the end of the year and see which way they go from there.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I bought a ten dollar microphone to replace the old headset I had and it works just fine. Like I said, calls to Canada and the U.S. are free until the end of the year. We'll see what they offer at that time.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
RE: Has anyone used Skype

Overall, I find Skype to be very useful softwarwe. I haven't encountered any disconnects or cell phone typ eof echo on the line.

The only thing I dislike about it is having to enter country codes when making local calls. I guess you can't be too greedy when it's a free service though.

I have read reports that E-Bay plans to integrate Skype with their auction house. (Ebay purhcased skype) I imagine that would be handy for getting instant information on a product you are bidding for or chasing after someone who ripped you off.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
DurkaDurka

Apparently, the system can get overloaded on some exchanges. I called my daughter in Langley last night and she complained that the sound kept fading out. I've made a couple dozen long distance calls in the last two days and that was the first complaint.