Google Mail

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
I heard Google is now an e-mail provider. Its called Google Mail or G-Mail. I want to ask, how is it? Is it similar to Yahoo! and Hotmail? Because if its good, I'll switch from Yahoo! to Google.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
LittleRunningGag said:
8O

What rock have you been hiding under? Gmail is great. Over a gig of free email storage, spam blocking, etc. Great provider.

Over a gig? I just looked and it's up to 2.7g on my account. Or are you canajans limited in your accounts up there? :lol:

Yes, gmail is great. Switched from yahoo to gmail myself.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Yes, it is good.
But to get an account you need an invitation from somebody who has one; it is not simply a matter of going to Google's site and signing up.

Google also offers webmasters the ability to put a Gmail-powered service on their own domain. For example, if you have the domain CanadaIsCool.com, and you think other people would like an e-mail address of the form USERNAME@CanadaIsCool.com, you could apply for such a service.

Regards,

David

alka.li

Jul 7, 2006
DavidB said:
Google also offers webmasters the ability to put a Gmail-powered service on their own domain. For example, if you have the domain CanadaIsCool.com, and you think other people would like an e-mail address of the form USERNAME@CanadaIsCool.com, you could apply for such a service.

Where does one apply for this? I think zbluh@alka.li emails would be cool... I can do redirects though my DNS provider but that's not as cool as having a funky gmail backend and whatever.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
DavidB said:
Yes, it is good.
But to get an account you need an invitation from somebody who has one; it is not simply a matter of going to Google's site and signing up.

I have a gmail account and I didn't need an invitation to sign up I just went to gmail.com and signed up for an account back in 2005, but it might be different now. I love gmail even though it's not my primary email account.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
Re: RE: Google Mail

dekhqonbacha said:
Riyko
now it's changed.
To sing up, one must text message them, if person's country is in the list. If it's not the case, like for Canada, we need to have an invitaion from someone who has a gmail acount.

Wow I'd say it's changed alot 8O

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
JonB2004 said:
I heard Google is now an e-mail provider. Its called Google Mail or G-Mail. I want to ask, how is it? Is it similar to Yahoo! and Hotmail? Because if its good, I'll switch from Yahoo! to Google.

Jesus man....i've had a gmail account for like....years now? I think I got this, yes, I got it in like January 2004. Anyway Jon, not new, not at all. Yes it's good, get it :)

I just realized that you STILL can't sign up for gmail, you need to be invited. If you give me your email address (your currenty one) Jon i'll send you the invite, i've got like 150 of them (i've been a user THAT long.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
alka.li said:
DavidB said:

Where does one apply for this? I think zbluh@alka.li emails would be cool... I can do redirects though my DNS provider but that's not as cool as having a funky gmail backend and whatever.

Here is where you sign up on Google's waitlist:

https://www.google.com/hosted

However, unless Google thinks many other people would also like an e-mail address based on the domain alka.li, I doubt they would approve it. After all, what's the point?

If you already own the alka.li domain, and only want a few e-mail addresses, it would be easier to just go through your hosting company.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
I love me some Gmail. I like the email features and the chat feature within the email, so you don't have to have two windows open.

I don't have the messanger part on my pc (the one seperate from gmail) but i intend to. There are a shit load of other things you can download. If you go to Google.com and select next..you should get a list of things you can download.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I use gmail myself.. Great service, great spam protection and very very organised. I use the pop3 feature though, so I dont really take advantage of most of the web features.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
DavidB said:
alka.li said:
DavidB said:

Here is where you sign up on Google's waitlist:

https://www.google.com/hosted

However, unless Google thinks many other people would also like an e-mail address based on the domain alka.li, I doubt they would approve it. After all, what's the point?

If you already own the alka.li domain, and only want a few e-mail addresses, it would be easier to just go through your hosting company.

Thanks for the tip. I applied for the Google Domain feature and got the instructions back within 24 hours. I have a block of 250 for my own domain. I doubt I'll need anymore and if I do I'm sure they'll oblige. Looks like a good networking tool.