Macintosh Computers

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
What are macintosh's like? I've never owned one and I need one for college. What are they good for computer wise and what one would you recommend the mac book or mac book pro?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that this type of computer is quite good, and preferable to other types, when one is working with media. In terms of writing composition programs, and other more "practical" purposes, however, I far prefer PCs.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Macs are superior for everything other than gaming. The only caviat to that is they are currently in the process of transitioning from powerPC chips to Intel chips. The effect on you the user in the short term is that PowerPC software needs to run in emulation mode under Rosetta until a universal binary (intel specific code version) is released. Major programs yet to have UB code releases include photoshop (due in 2007) and MS Office (not announced yet as far as i know. On the other hand, with a macbook or macbook pro, you can install bootcamp which allows you to dual boot windows XP if you need it, or consider looking at Parallels vertualization program (allows you to run windows XP as an application within OS X). Take a look at www.macrumors.com for a start on how people are finding the macbooks and macbook pros. As of the last time I checked, the 15 inch macbook pro was strangely priced compared to the other offerings.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They are forcing you to buy a Mac? I pity you. Buy one with the Core-Duo if you are going to get one.. that way you can dual boot with Windows. BTW... Mac's are not superior in any way to PC except for the OS user interface. Apple basically sells you a Dell with a fancy Operating System.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"Mac's are not superior in any way to PC except for the OS user interface."

It is the OS that makes the machines superior in every way except gaming. There is also something to be said for industrial design, and quality of components.

All mac laptops are now intel, so concern over that is not an issue. (only the Powermacs and Xserves have yet to transition).

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
I'm majoring in computer programming and I got a letter from the school telling me what I need for the class and they said I need a macbook pro :? Isn't $2000 for a laptop expensive?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: RE: Macintosh Computers

Riyko said:
I'm majoring in computer programming and I got a letter from the school telling me what I need for the class and they said I need a macbook pro :? Isn't $2000 for a laptop expensive?

Yes, it is expensive when compared to a similar windows based laptop. Can you lease one through the school?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

the caracal kid said:
"Mac's are not superior in any way to PC except for the OS user interface."

It is the OS that makes the machines superior in every way except gaming. There is also something to be said for industrial design, and quality of components.

Does a fancy GUI justify a $700-$800 premium over a similarily equiped dell etc?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
a fancy GUI?

How about the Mach kernel? OS X is a superior OS to XP from the kernel up. (lets not also forget apple includes the ilife software bundle in there as well).

But that aside, there is a lot to be said for the user experience.

Dell is garbage. You get what you pay for, more or less. Do you consider Toshiba's laptops overpriced as well, or do you not take into account industrial design in making your purchase decisions?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
But the school isn't saying you have to buy a Toshibia.

PC hardware can be anything you want it to be, from cheap to very well made.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

the caracal kid said:
a fancy GUI?

How about the Mach kernel? OS X is a superior OS to XP from the kernel up. (lets not also forget apple includes the ilife software bundle in there as well).

But that aside, there is a lot to be said for the user experience.

Dell is garbage. You get what you pay for, more or less. Do you consider Toshiba's laptops overpriced as well, or do you not take into account industrial design in making your purchase decisions?

OSX is a decent OS, I will admit that. They have bascially slapped a nice GUI on the BSD kernal with slight modifications. As for I-Life, which they make you pay a subsciption for, there are many open source/freeware apps that do just as good of a job.

In regards to Dell, I would never buy one my self, I build my own. Although they do have a very powerful xps laptop which would spank any Mac. http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&oc=OCINSP1710R_RBP_M1710R
Apple has great Industrial design, the way they build their pc's though limits anyone other then a Apple technican from doing the simplest of upgrades. There are many wintel companies that offer well designed "pc's" as well; Alienware, Voodoo, Falcon Northwest.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
agreed that Alienware has had some good designs (and impressive specs) but you won't be getting one cheap.

Many laptops are hard for the end user to service (beyond adding memory). If being able to easily open up the computer is important to you (and it isn't to many) then that just has to be part of the buying decision. I was surprised the new Macbook can easily have its hard drive replaced by the user.

Since you build your own computers user servicing would be important to you. It all comes down to priorities.

Ilife does not require a subsription. Your thinking of .mac, which ties into iweb.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
iphoto - photo managing, basic correcting, sharing, etc
idvd - dvd mastering
imovie - video editing
iweb - web authoring and publishing
garageband - recording studio

a good software bundle (if you have use for it).

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Macs might be expensive but it is worth it. Mac OS X is much better than Windows XP. The MacBook is apparently really good. And it comes with a super fast Intel processor.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario

DurkaDurka said:
Yes, it is expensive when compared to a similar windows based laptop. Can you lease one through the school?

Nope it says that you have to have your own computer to do work outside of class.

jay
I talked to the school today and they told me that I can use any kind of computer, but i won't be able to complete all of the assignments.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

JonB2004 said:
Macs might be expensive but it is worth it. Mac OS X is much better than Windows XP. The MacBook is apparently really good. And it comes with a super fast Intel processor.

If you do music, or video, i would go for a mac all theway, they are way better built in any sense, less noisy, more important very reliable, and osx is about a millions years ahead of windows XP, that is a fact.

But if you don't do music or video, don't waste your money.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Mac's are no better for Video & Music then a PC. In the past they were, circa 1998. Mac's sold at apple.ca contain the same hardware you get in a Dell for 4x the price. Reliablity wise, Mac's have less viruses running around on them, that's about it.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006

DurkaDurka said:
Mac's are no better for Video & Music then a PC. In the past they were, circa 1998. Mac's sold at apple.ca contain the same hardware you get in a Dell for 4x the price. Reliablity wise, Mac's have less viruses running around on them, that's about it.

Well, i make music 6 days a week, i sometimes do video mountage, i own 3 macs, 2 pcs, and let me tell you, yes macs are better for that, not faster, actually macs in general are slower, but the realibility and thoughness, they are just incredible to compare with pcs, what you need in music and videos, is reliable machines, to not loose yoour inspiration.

drmarat

Jun 26, 2006
Anything is better than DELL. DELL computers are garbage, garbage, garbage. These turds are not worth of boxes they are shipped in. Dell customer service is incompetent and illiterate. STAY AWAY FROM DELL!!!