Riyko says:
the slowest if I remember correct for this satellite is 1500kbps

' ★☆King of Hearts☆★~ ' Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep says:
1.5 megs a second in other words? That is still slow

Riyko says:
but that's the slowest download speed, I'm not sure of the fastest

' ★☆King of Hearts☆★~ ' Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep says:
we get 14,500kbps

I know some about computers and connection speeds and I've never heard of a computer that can get 14,500kbps. So I ask you guys what's the fastest connection speed available for any kind of internet?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Question about downlo

In North America, a comsumer can usually not get more than 4MB/s, which work out to somewhere in the neighbourhoood of 4,096KB/s or in standard numerical terms 512kb/s. The key to understanding this is the difference between MB, Mb, KB, and Kb:

MB = MegaBits
mb = Megabytes
KB = Kilobits
kb = Kilobytes

8 kilobytes make 1 kilobit. 8 kilobits make 1 Megabyte. 8 Megabytes make a Megabit. Clear as mud?

The above info is for a typical residential/business package in North America. You can of course expand your bandwidth, but it gets expensive fast. High end companies with thousands of users often turn to a solution such as DS3 lines (45MB/s), but these set ups cost tens of thousands of dollars a month. Bandwidth of that magnatude is not cheap.

Now as for your friends claim he gets 14,500kb/s. I call bullshit. Here's why:

This math is off the top of my head:

Megabits: 113/s
Megabytes: 14/s
Kilobits: 116,000/s
Kilobytes: 14,500/s

Considering I just pointed out that DS3 lines cost thousands of dollars (for 45MB/s), unless your friend is Donald Trump, he doesn't get 14,500kb/s (113MB/s). More probably along the lines of 145kb/s which would put him in the 1.5MB package of most ISPs.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Question about downlo

I was under the impression that Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) was capable of no more than 100MB/s, which is roughly:

12,800 Kilobytes
12.5 Megabytes
0.09765625 Gigabits

Even if you were refering to gigabytes (represented gb/s), everything i've ever read has pegged FDDI at no more than 0.01220703125 gb/s. Just my two cents.