Toolbar888 mad

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
So yeah bought a new computer last year. I was all careful not to get this computer infected by a single thing. I'm using etomi to download just a few things now and then and things I know which won't carry virus's which my protection can't handle. Yeah so I'm downloading and mistakenly start to download some guys whole library. F*ch. I didn't even notice until I had a billion and one pop ups and I knew I was in trouble.

All of the sudden nortin doesn't work right and when I go to remove odd programs from my computer I can't remove one called Tollbar888 which by the looks of it I knew was a god damned adware. I f*cking hate adware and I don't know why people are allowed to make these things still. They should be thrown in jail and the companies who use adware to advertise should be fined! So yeah I can't remove this program it's messed up nortin and a few other things on my system and downloaded trojans as well.

So I look up on the internet on how to remove this thing and it's so freaken compligated. I'm now debating on buying a new computer less then a year since I bought this one because of a mistake I did when I mistakenly pushed my mouse button. I'm pissed off.

To make things worse since nortin is messed up it spams me too with messages I don't know how to stop. Nortin still works a little and thus I've not uninstalled it.

Does anyone know of a free virus scan and virus remover which might be able to get rid of said virus?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
http://www.bitdefender.com/

Try the online scan from bitdefender. It's going to take a fair amount of time (my system w/ 120-ish GB used on it took about 3.5hours) but it found items that werent detected by 2 virus and 3 spyware progs. I can't say if it'll nuke the 888Toolbar for you but it's definately worth a shot.

Good Luck

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
First, don't use Norton. There are better and free alternatives out there... I use Avast (which modules for P2P, Instant Messaging, Outlook, Web, etc.)... some other people use AVG.

Second, if you use XP, set a system restore point when you get your computer up and running the way you like it (Start Menu-> Help and Support). That way, when you or some process installs something that focks up the system, you can go back to the restore point. After you install a program that you intended to install, set another system restore point after you are sure that it didn't screw anything up. I have saved myself a couple of times with this feature when installing a new program that overwrote some critical files (ie. buggy video card driver).

Third, don't use P2P with an administrator account. Create a restricted or limited account especially for this. This will prevent malware programs from having free and unrestricted access to your computer.

Fourth, get Zonealarm. It's free. It tells you when your programs are attempting to access the Internet (attempting to "phone home").

Lastly, get Adaware and Spybot. Immunize with Spybot and it will block content from known bad sites.

Oh, setup your computer behind a router... this will help block access from the outside.

I've worked with this setup for years and I've never gotten anything that took the system down...

Or, you could try Linux. In that case, GOOD LUCK! I've tried a number of distros and could never get the same amount of functionality I was used to when using XP. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
whenever I try to find spy bot I end up spy doc which you need to pay for. can you give me the addy for spybot(free version) and any other virus protects which might be able to remove this one. I used the other sent to me and it found a whole load of files but I think the adware is still there because before I came to work to shut off my computer I had about 4 pop ups while I slept and had the webbased one look and correct my computer. Oh and I had a pop up while I was shutting down my computer.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Finder said:
whenever I try to find spy bot I end up spy doc which you need to pay for. can you give me the addy for spybot(free version) and any other virus protects which might be able to remove this one. I used the other sent to me and it found a whole load of files but I think the adware is still there because before I came to work to shut off my computer I had about 4 pop ups while I slept and had the webbased one look and correct my computer. Oh and I had a pop up while I was shutting down my computer.

Here is the direct link for Adaware (CNET website):
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Here is the direct link for spybot:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Here is the direct link for Avast:
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Here is the direct link for Zonealarm Free version (as it can be hard to find on their website):
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...sp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass

Here is the link for Ewido:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
There is also an online scanner version which I recommend you try first.

If for some reason, when you click on the link and you end up on an unknown webpage, it might be the spyware on your computer doing this. So in this case, let me know.

Another alternative would be to go to PCPitStop.com and run their tests. I've never run these tests myself, but my coworker has and he recommends it.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Oh, and don't forget to download updates right after installing so you can get the most recent definition files.

Hope this helps.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
You will probably need to boot into Windows in safe mode (continually press F8 as soon as you see the windows boot screen to get the menu), then run spybot again. Spybot couldn't remove the spyware because it is currently running on the system.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Trend Micro will scan your computer from their site for free. Both for a virus and spyware
If nothing works and you do not need to save anything format C:/u

and reload! 8)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well even when I deleted the one file, somehow it still finds away to download some program. I'm not sure which one which downloads ucmore, which downloads, freepodtb which turns around and downloads toolbar888.

Hey paradox I'll try the one you gave me tomorrow I wasted the better part of my day on this. actually yesterday and the day before too. I can't believe I have all this trouble from a mistake while downloading. Iy should be elegal to have such programsd which are next to immpossible to kill and which installs itself.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Finder said:
Well even when I deleted the one file, somehow it still finds away to download some program. I'm not sure which one which downloads ucmore, which downloads, freepodtb which turns around and downloads toolbar888.

Hey paradox I'll try the one you gave me tomorrow I wasted the better part of my day on this. actually yesterday and the day before too. I can't believe I have all this trouble from a mistake while downloading. Iy should be elegal to have such programsd which are next to immpossible to kill and which installs itself.

Finder, you will need to give me some more information on your bootup process. You said in safe mode that it killed most of the spyware except for one program...and when you booted up in normal mode, it tried to reinstall all the spyware you took off. In that case, boot up in safe mode again and rerun the tools to rid yourself of most of the spyware programs. Do not reboot. Then, after this, go into your registry editor and check to see what programs are starting up when Windows starts:

NOTE: When in Safe Mode, do not use the Internet. So read the following steps first and print out anything that requires you to go to a webpage while in Safe Mode.

1. Disable System Restore by going to My Computer -> Properties. Click on System Restore tab and check disable.

2. Start menu -> run -> type regedit

3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS -> CURRENTVERSION -> RUN

On the right hand side, you should see a list of the programs that will start when Windows starts. Check the NAME and DATA columns to make sure they are programs that you recognise. If not, please write it down and post it here and I will try to help you figure out what it is. If you know for sure that it is something you do not recognise, then delete it by highlighting the entry and pressing the DELETE key. Most importantly, check for the ucmore.exe or anything like that and write down the DATA value (where it is located), then delete the registry entry and go to where the DATA value is pointing and delete the file there.

This steps eliminates any unwanted programs from starting up during the Windows boot process.

3. If you did not see any ucmore entries in the previous step. Stay in Safe Mode and then follow these instructions to remove the ucmore adware:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ucmore.html

4. Next, physically disconnect your network cable from the computer for the time being and reboot in Normal Mode.

5. Check to make sure that ucmore is gone and your computer is working normally (except for Internet stuff as you don't have a connection at the moment).

6. If so, now turn on System Restore using the same process as in Step 1 (check enable System restore). Apply and close.

7. Create a new System Restore point by going to Start -> Help And Support Center. Under Pick a Task, choose "Undo Changes with System Restore". Choose Create a Restore Point and follow the instructions.

8. Now open up Internet Explorer. Since you do not have a network connection yet, it should come up with an error page. Go to Tools-> Internet Options. On the General Tab, make sure the Home Page Address is pointing to something you recognise... like yahoo.ca. or msn.com. If not, change it just to be safe. And while you're there, press delete cookies, delete files (including offline files), and clear history. Now close Internet Explorer.

8. Now connect your network cable to the computer. Windows should tell you that there is a network detected.

9. Open up Internet Explorer and immediately download ZoneAlarm.

Let me know how it goes.

Good luck.

cattygurl

Mar 23, 2006
Well, I don't know about him, but I think I finally got the damn things out.
Thanks for the help!
:D