Rogers Discontinues Usenet Service

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Dear Valued Customer

Please be advised that rogers is discontinuing its usenet service as of December 15, 2005.

Internet technology is constantly changing. usenet was one of the earliest forms of user discussion on the Internet, but today has largely been replaced by blogs, instant messaging, personal web pages and other tools. As a result, fewer and fewer people are accessing usenet.

Therefore, rogers has decided to stop providing usenet service to rogers Yahoo! customers.

Alternatives

To stay at the leading edge of new technology, we’ve introduced new and better ways to communicate – all available at no additional charge to rogers Yahoo! customers:

Instant messaging
»ca.messenger.yahoo.com/

Groups
»ca.groups.yahoo.com/

Personal web pages
»ca.geocities.yahoo.com/

Blogs
»360.yahoo.com/

Photos
»ca.photos.yahoo.com/

Customers with a continuing desire to read or post usenet text messages or who wish to access usenet binary groups can subscribe to third-party usenet service providers such as Giganews (our supplier up until the point when we discontinue usenet) who offer a full usenet service on a paid basis: »www.giganews.com/

Once again, thank you for your loyalty to rogers and your continued business.

- rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
All of the new "enhanced services" that Rogers started "offering" after the partnered with Yahoo! were free to begin with.

So now you get a free geocities account with ads, a free webbased email address with ads, no more usenet service and free blogs with ads, which have always been free.

Great "enhanced services" Rogers!

Judland

Electoral Member
This is just a typical corporate marketing strategy.

Other corporate technology companies, like Microsoft, do the same sort of thing.... get you to pay high prices for their "innovative" product, hoping you don't realize you can get the same thing (or even better) for free elsewhere, if you just took the time to look.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Andem said:
Dear Valued Customer

Please be advised that rogers is discontinuing its usenet service as of December 15, 2005.

Internet technology is constantly changing. usenet was one of the earliest forms of user discussion on the Internet, but today has largely been replaced by blogs, instant messaging, personal web pages and other tools. As a result, fewer and fewer people are accessing usenet.

Therefore, rogers has decided to stop providing usenet service to rogers Yahoo! customers.

Alternatives

To stay at the leading edge of new technology, we’ve introduced new and better ways to communicate – all available at no additional charge to rogers Yahoo! customers:

Instant messaging
»ca.messenger.yahoo.com/

Groups
»ca.groups.yahoo.com/

Personal web pages
»ca.geocities.yahoo.com/

Blogs
»360.yahoo.com/

Photos
»ca.photos.yahoo.com/

Customers with a continuing desire to read or post usenet text messages or who wish to access usenet binary groups can subscribe to third-party usenet service providers such as Giganews (our supplier up until the point when we discontinue usenet) who offer a full usenet service on a paid basis: »www.giganews.com/

Once again, thank you for your loyalty to rogers and your continued business.

- rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet

I'm not very happy with this new policy from Rogers. I signed up for a three year contract with them only a few months before this happened. I think I will be giving them a call since and canceling the contract if I'm not going to get the same level of service....

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Rogers charges 78 bucks to reduce your service or to cancel it. The clown climbing the pole must get danger pay.

Pretty tense, eh? Now we know why they give the first month free or whatever.

I''m intent on getting another ISP. It's not a national emergency to me, but, I'm plodding along and will make the move very soon.

Calm

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Well, it took me a while, but I made the move from Rogers

This is the new provider which I chose.
http://www.mycybernet.net

ADSL PPPoE on telephone line
Speed :5.0MB (down) 800K (up)
Included transfer : Unlimited
Subscription term : Monthly/Quarterly/Year
Setup fees : None (50$ value)
Frees the telephone line : Yes
Equipment required: DSL Modem
9 E-Mail acoounts
Webmail Access
25MB Web Space
24/7 technical support
Dynamic IP addressing

Cost of Initial Installation of a DRY DSL Service (aka: Naked DSL) :
$54.95 Monthly (DSL Company Charge)

$9.10 Baud Rate (Bell Company Charge)

$6.00 For Static IP (IP Address does not change)

$79.95 DSL Modem Purchase

We receive a Free Month of Service ($54.95) because I purchased the Modem ($79.95).

http://mycybernet.net/home/highspeed/highspeed5mb.htm

I sent an initial Cheque to amount of $254.00 for 4 Months Service (including Modem Purchase) which equals $63.50 per month. Rogers was charging me $58.75 a month.

I then paid a NewsGroup Service ( http://www.newshosting.com ) $15.80 a month for Unlimited HighSpeed Access. This means I'm paying $79.30 a month including the separate NewsGroup Service which is $20.55 more a month than Rogers.

However this additional monies is more than offset by the increase in Speed and the access to NewsGroups ... not to mention the permissions to have Servers Running.

Therefore, where my speed with Rogers was reported to be: 2.7 MB second ( http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ ), this new DSL Line is reported to be 5.0 MB per second. Where Rogers has 600K UP, this new DSL Line is 800K UP.

I don't visit here very often, so if you reply to this post, I may not know it for months. I'm just posting the information for others to know your options.

Calm

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Well, I called Maw-Bell to get the phone line installed and found out that there are no Hi-Speed telephone lines in my area.

Can yuh handle that, eh?

I live on Queen Street at Woodbine .... and Maw-Bell tells me that I'm living in the sticks!

So .... I guess I'm stuck with Rogers until I move to a place with access to Hi-Speed telephone. I'm in no real hurry to move.

I called the new ISP and cancelled the service and faxed my bank and put a stop payment on the cheque I sent them.

The only thing I got out of this whole damn mess was my subscription to UseNet which costs me about 16 bucks a month.

Calm

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Hey Calm.

I looked around for newsgroup services and I found a couple that were cheap....one was for only 3 bucks a month (maybe American). Anyways here is another one I found for cheap.

http://www.athenanews.com/

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I would just like to point out that Rogers™ is the worst company on the face of the planet. This "company" chared me $180 for service that I never had. I ordered cable internet for 1 month when I was in Borden Ontario last year on a course. I then canceled it and moved up to Kingston for another course for a few months. Whilst in Kingston I had Bell. One day I received a bill for $40 from Rogers saying I still had internet service in Borden. So I called them and they said they never received my cancellation (even though I spoke to someone on the phone) and that I hadn't returned my modem (which I did). So they ended up charging me $180 for a months service I never used and a modem I returned. I hate the company and seriously hope it bellies up. Also if I ever find out the name of the customer service biznitch that dealt with me i'll eviscerate her with an RJ-45 cable. I'm not even joking.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If you in the mood for writing cheques for services you didn't receive, I'll take one too!

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Rogers Discontinues U

I never said I was in the mood for it...ever. Fear of having it sent to a collection agency, and thus ruining the perfect credit i've established in my 24 years of existence was what caused me to write the check complete with the "F.uck you Rogers Cable" in the memo field.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Rogers Discontinues U

Mogz said:
I never said I was in the mood for it...ever. Fear of having it sent to a collection agency, and thus ruining the perfect credit i've established in my 24 years of existence was what caused me to write the check complete with the "F.uck you Rogers Cable" in the memo field.

Make an effort to get your money back...document everything you tell them, everything they tell you, who you spoke with, and do as much of it in writing as possible. If you don't get anywhere, file a small claims court claim. If you do it yourself it's free and not too complicated. They may just decide to settle out of court, if you really do have a strong case.