Best Antivirus Software?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Need an opinion. I've been using Norton and it seems to work fine, but it's coming up for renewal and the cost of renewal is almost the same as purchasing a new antivirus software. What do folks around this place think is the best software to use? If there's something better out there, I can ask Santa to drop it off under the tree for me! ;)

I need something simple. I hate all the tech stuff, although I can figure it out I'd rather not have to.

Norton has the most annoying alert every time someone tries to access my computer ... even if it's a ping. Do the other software brands have that???

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Best Antivirus Softwa

I use Clam but it only runs when I restart computer which is rarely, I don't use an anti virus to scan everyday down loads nor do I use a spyware remover/scanner.

When I was on Windows AVG is free and very very good (one of the best if not the best). I had mcafee and the whole anti spyware, firewall, virus scanner anti spam but I found having AVG and Adaware was a very good combo instead and at no cost.

AVG Free

I use "Guarddog Firewall" and it is very very good, but I do not think they make a windows version.

I will search around and see if I can find a good free firewall for you.

Since you are on Telus, but Shaw has a very good firewall and anti virus (and removes spyware) for free, my brother uses it, so I was wondering does Telus have the same thing or something similar maybe?

Maybe someone else has a suggestion. I will look around for you though :)

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

I use AVG, in conjunction with Windows' own firewall program. Don't know if it's the best, but it was recommended to me by an IT savvy friend.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Free firewalls

I would suggest Zone Alarm. I assume you have the Nortons that comes with firewall and if you discontinue subscription you will need another one. Sygate and Kerio have been discontinued.

Zone Alarm

Outpost Firewall (free) Never used it but appears to be a simple basic straight forward firewall.

Another list of free firewalls

They have Sygate and Kerio listed as well but are both going to be discontinued in DEC 2005.

Yet another list of free firewalls, with reviews

Basically from what I found out the best firewall for windows seems to be "Zone Alarm" and best anti-virus is "AVG" and they are both free, hope I helped a bit. :)

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Thanks guys! I do have a built in firewall on WinXP which I had to disable to use the Norton firewall. I'll check those links, Important. Thanks a ton!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
cosmo: I have been through several now.....and keep coming back to AVG...free version. It works well.

If you are going to make a change......be sure every particle of Nortons is uninstalled/removed from your computer before installing your next choice.

Had Norton's once.....and it was a tad challenging to get rid of.

.......conflicts between anti virus programs can arise.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Cosmo

I've used AVG for about ten years. The only virus that got on my computer was right after my hard drive died and I hadn't yet reloaded AVG. Their free version is probably as good as anything out there. You get free automatic updates plus e-mail checking. AVG is what I would pick.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Hi,

another free virus checker is Avast. It is pretty comprehensive because it also checks email, P2P, Instant Messaging, etc... There are virus definition updates almost everyday.

Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

I use the free version of Zonealarm for my firewall.

I run Adaware and Spybot - Search and Destroy.