Rogers and Port 80

Superimposed

Sep 26, 2005
superimposed.no-ip.org
I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, but why exactly does Rogers not allow traffic on Port 80? or 21? or 8080? etc. Some people say because they don't want people hosting servers on there home computers and others say because of viruses....anyone have a definitive answer?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well, I just talked to a freind of mine who says they may have changed things....I will try and look into this.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't have IIS running on my Home machine at the moment, and my WIN 2000 server box lost its hard drive sometime ago, so I haven't been using port 80 for some time....

I will have to look into this when I return from my fall excursion, because I think filtering out port 80 is a bad thing.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
On second though, port 80 is an outbound port for Remote Desktop, something I use daily....

I called Rogers.ca about this and they said they don't block ports, except for maybe 25 because they used it for mail and don't anymore, and they filter for spam on 587. Other than that they say they leave the other ports alone, unless you have been sending viruses out their network…..

I hope this helps.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I would actually give them a call....it could be you have (inadvertently) sent out some viruses or something, and they have targeted some of your ports....just a guess.

sbromle

Nov 21, 2005
Ok, for those first finding this out in the future, I figured
I should post my recent finding with this issue.

In Newfoundland at least, Rogers blocks ports 80 and 21 by default, but will open them if you request them to do so during the initial install, or if you just phone in at a later time.

I just phoned, and it took about 40 seconds for them to take care of it.

Sam.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Good to know. Did they say why they do it, or is some cruel trick to screw with Newfoundlanders?

CutThroat

Dec 8, 2005
Medicine Hat
Its common now that isps do not let you host sites on port 80 or ftp servers on port 21. I'm not sure why they do this. You pay top dollar for bandwidth and then they try telling you what you can and cannot do with it.