dvd plays but never any sound!

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
my problem is i can get the visual of the dvd but no sound. I can usually fix the odd problem but this one has got me stumped. There is probably a simple explanation. But if you think you can help please reply.

Thank you.

mps

Jun 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
What do you mean, exactly? Are you burning dvd's but no sound is coming up? If so, you might not have the proper codecs.

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
no i'm trying to play normal dvd's i've tried real player, media player and various others, and downloaded some codecs but no luck.

mps

Jun 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
RE: dvd plays but never a

Hmm, I think it has to be your codecs then. If they're legit dvd's, and you're simply trying to play them on your computer, the only reason they wouldn't work would have to be because of audio codecs. You might try downloading the ACE Mega Codecs Pack.

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
my computer has been downgraded to win 2000 from xp. And there is a new d drive installed would this have any affect???

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
intersting i just downloaded a dvd player region free i think. Any way i get sound but it's very bad quality

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
ok that pack did help i'm getting ok sound but it is still very sort of squeaky. Are there any particular settings i should choose for better quality?

dan_c22

Mar 2, 2005
Ajax ON

How is the sound on the pc, besides the dvd player? You might want to open the volume applet in the system tray, check the balance, wave vol, system vol.

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
all other sound is 100% ok. I have had a quick glance at the advanced sound controls but didn't want to make any major changes.

dan_c22

Mar 2, 2005
Ajax ON

Can you set the sound output with the software dvd player? for example, DirectSound, Wave out etc. Also, what kind of sound card are you using?

callum01

Nominee Member
May 12, 2005
GB
cheers for the help dan but i think i have got to the bottom of it. the sound appears to be fine.

Thank you again