CABLE INTERNET HOOK UP HELP!!! (How To Hook Up Wireless Internet)

credico
HEY!
Can some 1 answer these q's for me??
1.) How do i hook up cable internet to multiple computers and my ps2 using a wirless network?
2.) What materials do i need?
3.)Where do i get these things?

I have one desktop computer in my basement, one desktop in my middle floor and my ps2 at the top floor. Can some1 help to explain this junk as simple as possible?? Thanks and if you need it, i am getting Adelphia High Speed Internet!

credico
hmmm maybe canadians don't know how to do this kind of thing, oh well maybe i'll find another forums on the web.

Judland
For myself... I don't trust wireless technology yet.

However, if I were to go wireless, I'd need a wireless router and wireless network cards for each PC to be hooked up to the network.

All of this should be available at any local computer hardware shop.

And that's all I'd need. My Kanotix Linux supports wireless network cards, so software is not an issue for me. I just have to shutdown the PC, install the cards, then boot back-up. Done.

As for the PS2.... can't help you there. I'm not a big fan of gaming... other than my Intellevision

moghrabi
Quote: Originally Posted by credico

hmmm maybe canadians don't know how to do this kind of thing, oh well maybe i'll find another forums on the web.

Maybe Americans don't know how to read a simple manual.

Dexter Sinister
Actually, it's all perfectly simple, but since I have no idea how much you already know, I'll assume you know nothing and hope I don't insult your intelligence. As Judland said, you'll need a wireless router and a wireless network card for each device you want to put on the network. The wireless router and cards you'll find described as supporting standards called 802.11b or 802.11g, or both. You want the 802.11g, it has longer range and better speed. Those numbers are just document numbers in a system of specifications defined by the IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.

Your high speed internet connection will come with either a cable modem or a device called a CSU/DSU, but that doesn't matter to you. It'll just be a little box with two cables coming out of it, one of which goes to your Internet service provider and should be connected by the installer, the other connects to the network port on the wireless router (or to your computer if you have only one device and no router). It should be clearly labelled as the network port, and will most likely be on the back of the router. The router's likely to have at least four wired network ports on the front of it as well; those are for your devices, if you want to wire them directly. And there'll be one or two little antennae on the router as well.

The router will have documentation with it, probably on a CD, about how to connect workstations to it, and if you have Windows 2000 or XP, it's pretty much automatic. But read it anyway. If you have trouble, come back here with questions, or PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.

There are some security considerations as well. If you leave the router unsecured, which is likely to be the default setup, your neighbours could use your Internet connection and possibly tap into your computers, so at the very least you should configure it to respond only to the devices you have, according to what are called their MAC addresses. That's for Media Access Control, a hardware address built into, and unique to, every network card. You can also set up encryption between your devices and the router, which will be explained (probably badly) in the documentation. But again, come back here or feel free to PM me if you run into trouble. I've been running a wireless network at home for two years, and never had a problem. I'm also paranoid about security, as we all should be with today's Internet, so every PC here has a software firewall and active virus monitoring, which you should install as well.

And just in case you're worried about my credentials, I used to make my living doing this kind of stuff, so I know what I'm doing.

Dexter Sinister
Oh, one more thing. The router will come with a default access password, and the first thing you should do is change it. The routers are accessible from any web browser, like Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, etc., and the default passwords are widely known.

credico
Quote: Originally Posted by moghrabi

Quote: Originally Posted by credico

hmmmm doesn't realize that a manual that comes w/ either a cable modem or a router (on how to hook up to a ps2 and the computers) but thanks for the useless post. and second i was just kidding. i mean cheeze whiz.

credico
oh and thanks dexter for the great information!

John Muff
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Oh, one more thing. The router will come with a default access password, and the first thing you should do is change it. The routers are accessible from any web browser, like Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, etc., and the default passwords are widely known.

You covered all aspects buddy... They sould post that somewhwere visible... I'm sure there 1000's looking for that as I speak... I finished my WL network last week... Freeky, but cool...

Thanks Dex...

John Muff

Dalreg
Quote: Originally Posted by moghrabiView Post

Have to agree with this. Up here in Canada manuals are provided for most things. Just so you know it is usually a bunch of words printed on paper and stabled together. If you know how to read it will tell you what to do.

lwashburn
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Actually, it's all perfectly simple, but since I have no idea how much you already know, I'll assume you know nothing and hope I don't insult your intelligence. As Judland said, you'll need a wireless router and a wireless network card for each device you want to put on the network. The wireless router and cards you'll find described as supporting standards called 802.11b or 802.11g, or both. You want the 802.11g, it has longer range and better speed. Those numbers are just document numbers in a system of specifications defined by the IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
Your high speed internet connection will come with either a cable modem or a device called a CSU/DSU, but that doesn't matter to you. It'll just be a little box with two cables coming out of it, one of which goes to your Internet service provider and should be connected by the installer, the other connects to the network port on the wireless router (or to your computer if you have only one device and no router). It should be clearly labelled as the network port, and will most likely be on the back of the router. The router's likely to have at least four wired network ports on the front of it as well; those are for your devices, if you want to wire them directly. And there'll be one or two little antennae on the router as well.
The router will have documentation with it, probably on a CD, about how to connect workstations to it, and if you have Windows...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Thanks for this post D., which continues to educate two years hence and counting. Your writing is crystal and smacks of intelligence. Very refreshing. My husband and I are in the process of hooking up wireless internet access in our clambar-restaurant/up and coming jazz-blues/live music club. I was doing some research on equip/wirless routers when I found this forum. Thanks for your generous sharing of knowledge.

Not Art and Science serve alone; Patience must in the work be shown. A quiet spirit plods and plods at length; Nothing but time can give the brew its strength. Goethe, Faust.