Don't type... Skype

Judland

Electoral Member
Been playing around with my Skype account and have to say that it works pretty darn good.

If you haven't heard of it before, Skype allows you to "call" other Skype subscribers over the Internet for free. But, it will also allow you to call regular telephone numbers, too, at pretty reasonable rates ($0.023 / minute in Canada).

I've had tele conferences with other Linux community members from different parts of the U.S., the U.K. and Australia. Everyone sounded great with no noticeable lags. Pretty good for free.

And there's also versions of the Skype software for Linux, MS-windows and Mac.

Judland

Electoral Member
Been playing around with my Skype account and have to say that it works pretty darn good.

If you haven't heard of it before, Skype allows you to "call" other Skype subscribers over the Internet for free. But, it will also allow you to call regular telephone numbers, too, at pretty reasonable rates ($0.023 / minute in Canada).

I've had tele conferences with other Linux community members from different parts of the U.S., the U.K. and Australia. Everyone sounded great with no noticeable lags. Pretty good for free.

Judland

Electoral Member

martha

Feb 23, 2005
london, uk
There is another free internet phone which operates solely from within a web browser (no downloads and no installations). http://www.theswitchboard.ca is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux and only requires a browser with the Java 1.4 (or higher) plugin installed. It can go through client firewalls, works over dialup, and has offline voicemail (which is my favorite feature). And, it is totally free.

In my opinion, The Switchboard is better than Skype because it doesn't require any download and install process. It's so easy because it's all embedded in the webpage, so I just give the link to my friends and family, just like any other internet link. Also, you aren't limited to your own computer where you installed the software, you literally just need a browser. Pretty cool.

martha

Judland

Electoral Member
It would be a nice feature to see in the future.

I signed up with the switchboard... now all I need to get someone I know to sign up so I can put it through its' paces.

Right now, Skype is offereing better long distance rates than the phone company. And the quality has been good, with the testing I've done so far.