Anyone else get this?

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
My computer monitor is acting all weird. I think it's been into the chocolate-coated espresso beans when I turn away. :?

The picture on the screen jumps around - it looks like someone jostled the monitor. It's been doing this for a while, but it seems to have picked up lately.

Is it just me... or has anyone else noticed this too?

Do you have a degaussing button on the monitor? It sounds initially like your monitor is about to die, but there's a slim possiblity that it's just magentized up. To demagnitize it, press the degaussing button (should make a click, and the screen should jiggle around like a spring and turn odd colours for a few secs before returning to normal).

Other than that, I think that generally monitors are more expensive to repair than to replace (although that's not always the case).

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
The monitor is on the old side, so that could be the problem.

I found the degaussing button, and I recommend everyone try it. It's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

I guess I just wait and see if it helps.

Thanks.

Re: RE: Anyone else get this?

LadyC said:
The monitor is on the old side, so that could be the problem.

I found the degaussing button, and I recommend everyone try it. It's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

I guess I just wait and see if it helps.

Thanks.

Yeah,. it's kinda trippy. Sometimes I just sit there and hit it repeatedly, but it's not all that spectacular if you don't let the magnetism build up sufficiently between pushes.

And I also suspect that doing it repeatedly probably isn't that good for the monitor :)

Did it sort it out for the moment?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
LadyC said:
My monitor says AcerView 76e.

Hopefully those ones tend to implode.

When I was shopping for my first computer (6 or so years ago), both my 20-something sons told me to stay away from anything Acer. I dont know if thats still the case, but....

The good news is that conventional monitors are pretty cheap these days.