DVD burner for me!

Isengard

Electoral Member
Just bought me a DVD burner, I'm gonna be able *to do back up of movies I already have* cough * :wink:

95$ for a 8x burner, think it's an LG, not sure since I will only have it tomorrow. And if you wonder why I don't know the brand of the product I bought it's because I trust my supplier, never been disappointed by what he suggested so far :)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
How have you liked it so far, Isengard? I really wanna know since it would be cool to make DVDs I can bring over to friends' places.. at 8x, though, burning 4GB of data might take a while.

Isengard

Electoral Member
I've liked it alot so far!! Use it with DVDShrink and you can make copy of any DVDs out there :)

About the speed, the entire process using DVDShrink+Nero to burn takes about 35-40 minutes. You first rip the DVD as an ISO file than you just burn it, at 4x it takes 15 minutes to burn so it's no so bad. I bought 4x medias cause they're cheaper than 8x. Cost me 50$ for 100 DVDs at Futureshop.

DVDShrink makes the copy region free plus it removes the damned security features that prevent you from fast forwarding the Warning and all the other screens with the company logos etc...

It's the best combination I've found so far and I've tried a couple!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Nice!!

Those security features are really annoying, so removing them is a plus.

Only 40 minutes for the whole process.. that really a lot less than I would have originally thought. Do you have a faster DVD-Rom or is it all done with this one DVD burner drive? I'd imagine the 8x refers to DVD reading rather than typical CD reading... Either way, I'm jelious.

95$ isn't bad.. that's the cost of my next upgrade. w00t.

Isengard

Electoral Member
I only have this burner drive. I don't remember how or why but the speed is not calculated the same way for DVD than it is for CD.

You can buy a 12x DVD burner for approx. 125$ right now but I think the 12x media are not on the market yet. And if I remember correctly, this DVDburner speed for CD is 32x or maybe 24... Which is not that bad.

Another thing that DVDShrink does if you want to is to reauthor the DVD, that means that you can remove all the extra and keep only the movie. If you reauthor, you lose the menu though.

DVDShrink will always compress the movie to fit a single DVD, but unless you have a super mega high tech TV you won't see any difference in the quality even if you compress at 70%. Normally, the compression ratio I get after removing additional languages is around 30-40%.