Dealing with Spyware and Adware

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Another good link== thanks.

What do you think of Mozilla's firefox- is it worth using?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Not yet. It is still full of holes. Plus you have to download a lot of add-ons to really have it work your way. It is an excellent program and it will mature very soon.

If you follow the steps in the article above your IE will be more than excellent. I have posted many things about IE but I'll be happy to give you a step-by-step article of how to make IE work for you.

keep me post it and I'll be happy to send you any info you may require.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Mozilla Firefox is a speedy, full-featured browser that makes browsing more efficient than ever before.

Firebird includes comprehensive pop-up controls to keep unwanted advertising off your desktop; a tab browsing mode that lets you open several pages in a single window, allowing you to load links in the background without leaving the page you're on.

Integrated Google search.
Industry-leading keyboard navigation.
Simplified privacy controls that let you cover your tracks more effectively.
A streamlined browser window that lets you see more of the page than any other browser while at the same time being more configurable.
A large variety of free downloadable extensions and themes that add specific functionality and visual changes to the browser.
A number of other details that work together with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

New to Mozilla Firefox 0.8 include the ability to automatically download files to your desktop and open bookmarks in your sidebar using Web panels

As I said Firefox is excellent but you have to spend time tameing it with the large nu,ber of extensions and so on.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks-- Im getting nervous with all im reading re the weird crap out there.

I access a few different networks, but I know the protocol there.

Its on HERE that has me worried.

Anything you post on the subject would be apperciated.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Yup-- no doubt.

I had to get a computer just for my email! Client requierment and all that.

I get these notices everyday, and its getting out of hand. To be honest, Im no expert and its getting to the point where I'm thinking about calling someone in.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
not yet. There are a lot of free programs that I can link you to and you can download. First explain to me what is happening to you system. Be very detailed if possible and I'll tell you exactelly what should be done.

Do it soon as you might have parasite such as trojans and keyloggers spying on you and recording your keystrockes. Also you might have wild virsus.

send me the list of what is happening and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Actually, ive caught a load of viruses-- no keyloggers-- I HOPE.

Ijust dont want it to get out of hand. Seems like theres a new warning everyday-- more than one.

Takes time away from my work...you know the rest.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I use the Symantec corporate edition. They are the best actually. Do you update your antivirus signautures on a daily basis? Also go to http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html and download spybot - search and destroy. it is free and cleans your system of adaware, scum and a lot of spying items. You will be very surprised what you will find in your system.