New to Canada- Whats the deal with mp3 downloads?

bfrich

Jun 5, 2004
Greetings. Just moved to Montreal from the US. Since the record industry began hitting mp3 downloaders with legal action, I had become used to using the "legal" sites (Dell Musicmatch). However, these sites don't appear to be available in Canada.

What is the deal on mp3 downloading here? Have there been similar legal issues? Where does one go to download? Are there "legal" sites (where you pay $.99) a song? Don't mind paying $.99 if there's a site to do it, otherwise where are the free sites?

Thanks!

cookies

Jun 1, 2004
www.cellphones.ca
You can always use to iTunes to download songs... .99cents per song...

By the way, you should still be able to access dell music match site.... It shouldn't matter wherever you are around the globe....

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I went out to a movie last night and McD's was giving out free music downloads on some music site? I told the guy -- why would I wanna visit a McD's site with advertising when it's legal in Canada to share files with programs like Kazaa? Apparantly, according to him, it's still illegal. So I quoted Judge Konrad von Finckenstein and his ruling... Also suggested he read the article at CanadianContent.net ( http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/itemid190.html ).. He was surprised to say the least!!

bfrich

Jun 5, 2004
thats' great, thanks for the article. I downloaded Kazaa Lite, and there's really a terrible selection. Am I doing something wrong?

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Also, its legal to fileshare in Canada. Though it limits to private use (understandable). You can download as much as you want, just don't sell what you download.