Rogers Cable going to 5mbps

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ack.. It's just Rogers trying to grab more money by selling their modems that they probably got cheap from a motorola clearance sale.... Or those old motorola Cybrsrfrs that they can't seem to keep going on customers' service.

I don't think the Rogers service can handle anymore subscribers, let alone bumping anyone upto 5mbps. I mean come on! They are booting people off their network right, left and centre for using 'too much bandwidth'. I would hate to be a customer who just bought a 5mbps modem just to be kicked off of their network for using too much bandwidth.

Just think of the deterioration of speeds and network quality if tons of people went to sign up for this new modem offer... bad idea!

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Rogers and Shaw cables are competing with ADSL. Now ADSL always have a consistent speed at any given time. Cable is shared with your neighbors. ie, when your neighbour turn his/her machine on, you are sharing the bandwidth with them. ADSL doesn't work this way. You have a dedicated line from your phone jack to the central office. This is why the cable companies are trying to boost the signal. Competition.....!!!!!!

celt007

Jul 21, 2004
I just had the Rogers guy come yesterday with the new modem for my 5Mbps service, Ive tried everything im lucky if I get 2MB download..so if your thinking of getting the new 5Mbps see if you can get the modem for free... Ive ran many speed tests anywere from 700Kbits ps to 2200Kbits ps. seems like a bit of a scam...
the tech was here when i ran my tests he said the fastes download he saw was 4.1MB im not even close to that...
I hink its a bit of a con,....

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Do not believe them. They take the normal high speed and give it a little boost. This is why you are getting these speeds. The 4.1MB is gotten when everyone is in bed.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Rogers can'tpossibly be able to offer 5mbps. Their networks are so overcrowded and the service is oversold. I considered 5mbps, but it's just not possible... and now I'm on a T3 anyways.

jeffreyarcand

Nov 13, 2004
RE: Rogers Cable going to

I've got the Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Extreme service, here in Waterloo On, and in Ottawa On. Both places I have managed to get 5 Mb/s download, and its not that rare; you just need to connect to the right servers. E.g. I've downloaded the RedHat ISO's in Ottawa off ftp://less.cogeco.net/ at an average speed of something like 4.9 Mb/s. In Waterloo, I've downloaded the Fedora Core 2 ISO's off the same server at the same speed. I don't know what your guys are talking about, but my rogers extreme is great.