Grand Theft Auto III [rockstar games]

Gamer

Aug 27, 2002
General/Summary: The Grand Theft Auto series has remained one of the most popular in all of PC gaming for the past several years. Gamers of all genre interests were able to get something, if not a lot of things, out of GTAI and GTAII. Their open-ended environments served as a base for many hours of gaming enjoyment, never seeming to get at all boring. The concept here is an incredible fun level. GTAIII is no exception.
Gameplay: One word... Fun. Should this be any suprise, considering the immense fun factor of its predecessors? No. In fact, this is the funnest of them all. Three cities of completely open-ended gameplay. Each city is connected, and you are completely free to move between them at your will once you have unlocked the cities. In order to promote some sort of structured gameplay, there are missions that you must embark on to proceed further into the game, however you are never required to play a mission to play the game, you only go to the mission locations when you want. You are free to do anything else, for as long as you wish. In GTAIII you can drive a multitude of cars, and you can even pilots boats and a small plane! There are plenty of cool weapons to choose from, and will assist you in causing serious damage, such as blowing up cars, killing pedestrians and gang members, and even dismembering people... If you're into that sort of thing. There are many things that can be said to describe all of the different features that make of the gameplay, but the main point here is its open-ended, non stop fun. The gameplay is what truly makes this game great.

Graphics: The graphics in GTAIII are outstanding. The first difference from its predecessor you will no doubt notice is the great looking 3D environment. No more 2D over-the-top gaming here, although for those classic die-hards, that is one of the several available camera angles. The character modeling and especially the car detail modeling are exceptional, in addition, GTAIII features some outstanding lighting effects. The buildings and trees are bland, however this does not distract from the overall visual sense of the game, the graphical detail really does help the gamer to feel closer, and more into the experience of your character. There are some problems to note, however, that warranted my giving it a lower score than I would have liked to. First of all, there were some unusual framerate droppages when going over any bridge, despite the framerate being silky smooth at any other location, regardless of the amount of clutter on the screen. Secondly, at certain intersections, there were strange graphical errors that can be described as large transparent boxes, making it very difficult to see what you are doing whilst going over them.

Sound: The sound is what you would expect from a Grand Theft Auto series of game, which is far above average. The explosions and weapons sound very neat, especially when using a 5.1 EAX sound card. Pedestrians will use dialogue that relates to situations around them, impatient drivers will honk their horn and yell at you when you anger them, and a new feature, in car radio... When driving a car, you are able to select between a number of different stations including rock music, hip hop, news and debates. Personally, I found them all annoying, and used the feature that allows you to use your own MP3s, but I have talked to a number of people that liked some of the stations available in the game.

frubsen

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2002
I love this game but I am stuck on one of the last missions and I have stopped playing it...I'm gonna get back into it and master the Dodo flying!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I agree 100% with frubsen... GTA, GTA London, GTA II and now GTA3 are the best games of all time.. Although gta3 is filled with bugs and crashs, I still cant deny the actual gameplay is absolutely amazing.. I dont play many games either... But GTA3 is a MUST HAVE!

frubsen

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2002
I hope they release a big patch for GTA3 that will fix up all the bugs and make it not so jerky

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
They are releasing a new gta sometime.. Called GTA Vice City... Like GTA3, but new cities and vehicles etc.

Klaus

Aug 23, 2002
Kitchener
Apparantly GTA: Vice City (which will be based in the 80's) will be available for sure for Play Station 2. Im not even sure if it will be released on the PC, as there has been speculation. :(. I dont have PS2, I dont waste my time or money on consoles, they are always going out of date.. I have enough trouble keeping up with my pc.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
GTA Vice City will be such a sw33t game... I want i want! Probably those asses at R* will make it ps2 only!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
hrmmmmmmm... I heard its going to be exclusive to PlayStation 2.. They signed some kind of contract with Sony. Im not 100% sure if its just for consoles or if it includes pc also... But the original GTA started on PC! They should keep it on pc.

Buddyboy

Mar 10, 2003
GTA Vice City is coming out for the PC on May 13th!!! BUT you will probably need a kick azz system to run it...probably at least a p3 8900, 64mb vid card, 512Mb ram and the the whole anchelada!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
SWEET!!!! I was really hoping it would come to PC, that's something I'm definately getting.

There was so much talk about it not coming out on PC.