Exploding CDs in AOpen 52x Speed CDROM!!

frubsen

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2002
The IL-2 Sturmovik CD was in an AOpen 52x CD-ROM and suddenly a huge 'bang' .. it exploded and shattered probably into more particles a modern videocard can render realtime. The front of the CD tray even blew off and the CD .. shattered to pieces.

Luckily the CD-ROM/PC was not directly in front of the employee of Retsoft.com

He contacted AOpen who responded with lines like, 'what do you expect from such a cheap CD-ROM player'. Not the slightest sympathy .. in the end he got an RMA adress though so the CD-ROM will be replaced but I can't believe how they can state something like that.

Personally I think this is a very dangerous development. What if a CD explodes and comes out and hurts u (for example in the eye).

We think many people underestimate this and think it will not happen but the chance is not a small one.

Also we wonder what all the companies are going to do about it. As you can read in the press release of the new 48x drive from plextor they included an extra strong front bezel to prevent dangerous situations. Also the read speed is limited by default.

You can read the full article on guru3d. We invite everyone to discuss this topic on our forum.

Source: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4570

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH. ROFLMFAO! I have a panasonic 52x and a Sony CDR, I hope to god they dont explode, seeing as how much I paid for them both!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
awww. that is so bad :( poor people getting hurt by cd-rom drives. everything seems to be dangerious these days :( That company should pay up big time.

Aug 18, 2002
In an Icy Igloo
one of these days its going to kill someone with a piece of cd flying out cutting their throat or something, then they will be in a lot of trouble, they should be RECALLING all the cdroms and replacing them with safe ones!!!!

frubsen

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2002
I'm safe...my tower is in a part of my desk where there is a door to cover the front :D