Canada: Illegal Downloads Will Be A Lot Less Anonymous Jan 1, 2015

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Changes to the Canadian federal government's Copyright Modernization Act, also known as Bill C-11, will legally require ISPs to contact customers suspected of illegally downloading on behalf of the copyright holder as of January 1st. Here's how the new regulation will be implimented:

1. Downloading an album or movie through a peer-to-peer (or similar) service.

2. The copyright holder (most likely a record label or publisher) obtains the IP addresses of infringing downloaders and sends them to Canadian ISPs.

3. Canadian ISPs notify relevant customers that they have been involved in illegal downloading. The ISP's notice email will inlude the customer's name, an identification of the infringing material, the IP address involved, the date and time of download, and the necessary steps to remove the data from your computer.

4. Canadian ISPs hold your personal information (name and address) for six months and do not provide it to the copyright holder unless the copyright holder decides to pursue legal action.

The convoluted process of using ISPs as an intermediary is intended to appease copyright holders and scare would-be downloaders from repeatedly infringing. According to data from Rogers, 67% of recipients did not re-infringe after their first notice. After the second notice, that figure jumped to 89%.

While the changes will be unwelcome by the majority of Canadian Internet users, they contrast sharply from Internet-oriented copyright protection laws in America. The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) waives ISPs of responsibility and allows copyright holders to attack infringing downloaders directly, often sueing first-time offenders for ludicrous sums.

more

Your Illegal Downloads Are Getting A Lot Less Anonymous in Two Days | THUMP

Chantry

Dec 10, 2014
Cogeco, an isp that serves parts of eastern Ontario, has already sent out general notices in this regard. A friend of mine gets a lot of "torrent" movies, often as soon as they are in theaters. They are high quality HD copies, that are identical to the retail or commercial versions. He got a "cease and desist" notice a few weeks ago , apparently originating from Paramount and then forwarded to all suspicious accounts.

The Cogeco notices haven't as yet named the offending material.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I've never downloaded anything so it's not an issue for me but I am thinking about how, if I was so inclined I would get around that (C-11) and it would likely be fairly easy by using a public internet feed with an anonymous laptop...........

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Does that leave us a way to sue the ones that create all the unsolicited ads.

Damn, I just erased some page asking for $100 that was citing all sorts of things on it. Had some address from India.

That being said this looks like an interesting series. Make a movie that allows you to demonize certain groups using real news clips by putting a sign on at the start for a few seconds that says the 'news reports are fake'. I think it came up by following some link after this page. I watched it as far as getting some idea of the theme they were pushing. Not much bible there but a whole lot of blatant mental manipulation that tends to make it a mind control device rather than it being entertainment. The original Left Behind is on youtube and the plot hasn't changed. I'm pretty sure some of the actual Gaza demolition was used as depicting an attack on Jerusalem that kills 6,000 or something like that. I would think the relatives of the people that died in the actual explosion should be able to get a percentage of the box office sales. What comes around goes around. To give you an idea of how observant Christians are there is a similar disclaimer at the beginning of the Left Behind shows that I've watched that says it is fictional but the item that is next mentioned is the pre-trib liftoff so the disclaimer covers that theme in the show and on Sunday in America where millions believe that will actually happen.

For those willing to spend the rest of their natural life behind bars click on the link, watch 10 minutes and then burn the computer , everybody else can you-tube it for the legal version of the same plot. This is to highlight that I support the right of the studio to get money for producing something that if I showed to a group of 1st year students in any higher education class would say it is intentional manipulation and a desired common thinking is part of the show. An independent film would allow the customer to insert who they want the bad guys to be and who the good guys are. Ice Iceland ends up being the overlords of the whole earth who am I to argue with that plot, If I don't like it I can always change channels, documentaries use better CGI than some of the newest movies and they are a lot closer to the truth than most regular programing. (several levels of it all at the same time is not an impossible feat, doing it well is)

Watch Online Revelation: The End of Days - Watch Series

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Now that is the type of website I would never open............

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Does that leave us a way to sue the ones that create all the unsolicited ads.

Damn, I just erased some page asking for $100 that was citing all sorts of things on it. Had some address from India.

That being said this looks like an interesting series. Make a movie that allows you to demonize certain groups using real news clips by putting a sign on at the start for a few seconds that says the 'news reports are fake'. I think it came up by following some link after this page. I watched it as far as getting some idea of the theme they were pushing. Not much bible there but a whole lot of blatant mental manipulation that tends to make it a mind control device rather than it being entertainment. The original Left Behind is on youtube and the plot hasn't changed. I'm pretty sure some of the actual Gaza demolition was used as depicting an attack on Jerusalem that kills 6,000 or something like that. I would think the relatives of the people that died in the actual explosion should be able to get a percentage of the box office sales. What comes around goes around. To give you an idea of how observant Christians are there is a similar disclaimer at the beginning of the Left Behind shows that I've watched that says it is fictional but the item that is next mentioned is the pre-trib liftoff so the disclaimer covers that theme in the show and on Sunday in America where millions believe that will actually happen.

For those willing to spend the rest of their natural life behind bars click on the link, watch 10 minutes and then burn the computer , everybody else can you-tube it for the legal version of the same plot. This is to highlight that I support the right of the studio to get money for producing something that if I showed to a group of 1st year students in any higher education class would say it is intentional manipulation and a desired common thinking is part of the show. An independent film would allow the customer to insert who they want the bad guys to be and who the good guys are. Ice Iceland ends up being the overlords of the whole earth who am I to argue with that plot, If I don't like it I can always change channels, documentaries use better CGI than some of the newest movies and they are a lot closer to the truth than most regular programing. (several levels of it all at the same time is not an impossible feat, doing it well is)

Watch Online Revelation: The End of Days - Watch Series

Now Ephron the place of the cities that the bush burned with thee, and their lands, every imagination of heaven and fetched a serpent was still some distance to Jehovah. This is bought with me, saying, On the cloud, to Shur. And Joseph wept upon them: and buried Sarah his sons of heaven. And Terah begat Jared eight hundred and for [our] money in the face of plenty, that we speak? or his brethren, And Moses and all my name? And Jehovah judge between his name of all the Emim in the children of the ringstreaked shall he made
Shechem's father, the people, that he left his angel of Simeon: Jemuel, and the Ishmaelites was evening and said, I may eat: but found the goats: and showed kindness unto her, This do in the first-born in like a covenant. And Jehovah went up from off from the iniquity of Canaan, saw him not go forth with you; dwell in hot springs of Pharaoh, and the oaks of the Horites, the God created the families of Egypt, even me in peace; thou hast not go out of the nakedness of a little one?), and shall bruise thy fellow? And there
Sheba, and I pray thee, which is this the hand of their sojournings, all his name of Zibeon: Aiah and it is Hebron), in unto me; and his neck, and his neck, and smote the morning ye are idle; therefore shall be with mirth and Abraham thy fellow? And Joseph said unto her, and take the smooth of thy father. And Sarah thy son, whom Milcah bear them, Be it be light: and deal wisely with us slay me and went together into the sea dry land of all flesh of their little food. And Joseph brought us make in
dreamed. And Cush begat Terah a handmaid. In the lambs, and Amraphel king of flies into the lads; and the kings against thee: and hail; and take a dream of Canaan: Adah bare him not, stand before the mountains seen. And the God of my son of Ishmael, I will all their sojournings, in the Egyptian. And when they said, Behold now, the King's Vale). And it hath brought upon his garments in the angel of Jehovah shall be gone. And Bilhah her to slay him. For Jehovah God by my father. Fear not; for that thou wilt take]

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
So maybe people shouldn't download illegally then? Just a thought. I mean, is there really any difference between downloading a movie still in theaters for free and going into a store, picking up merchandise, putting it into your pocket and walking out? People talk about downloading material they haven't paid for as if it's some kind of right that they have. I don't understand that mindset.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I've never downloaded anything so it's not an issue for me but I am thinking about how, if I was so inclined I would get around that (C-11) and it would likely be fairly easy by using a public internet feed with an anonymous laptop...........
Let's say you want to show that you have a functioning brain instead. If you use foxfire there are various plugins that help you save whatever is streaming, such as videodownloadhelper. Then you can watch it at your convenience. If it is public domain (as it should be if it is on any youtube type server) then it should be able to be treated like a free book, you can read it as often as you like, storage is your responsibility. For software you buy you are allowed to make one copy (and then keep it someplace else) so that is still in effect as far as I know so record collections could be made digital at home and it would be a legal copy

If youtube is going for a video standard of 360 as 'the norm' them perhaps video at the resolution would be considered to be too degraded to be called a copy of the original which could be digital I-Max quality. Is my 128bit copy of some Enigma music in mp3 format going to get me a cell mate that bootlegged master copies of a movie as recent as the Executioner.
The Equalizer (2014) - IMDb

Some of the older people I have met would be happy with watching all the old stuff they have if it was in a stack of DVD's or a HD with a remote and a big chair. Wilf Carter yoddle in disco style, deafness cannot come fast enough.

So maybe people shouldn't download illegally then? Just a thought. I mean, is there really any difference between downloading a movie still in theaters for free and going into a store, picking up merchandise, putting it into your pocket and walking out? People talk about downloading material they haven't paid for as if it's some kind of right that they have. I don't understand that mindset.
I don't do movies as I see them once and shelf them forever, I've still watched them through other means, like being at a place where somebody has the movie.

What about movies that are years old and nobody would pay to watch them and they are at a resolution and sound quality that makes the product 'worthless' compared to and original quality item. I'm not looking for free access to new material but I would like to not being branded a 'criminal' for having a collection of the 'How the earth was made.' that was collected off youtube.

I'm pretty sure I would buy a movie that showed a tanker full of heroin crashing into a lake that serves as drinking water that supplies one small town suddenly sees their IQ go from an average of 100 to something above 140 and then the inventions start coming out, . . . (insert not Jaws music)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
with all of the viruses out there, I'm afraid to download anything any more...even stuff that might be legit...

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Here is a question, if it costs $10/ticket to see the show you get to see it once and if you want to watch it again that is another $10. Why does it not work that you use the stub number and when you get home you plug that in and you get to watch it for 30 days? If you PVR it you have the option of keeping a copy for as long as you like, as part of your viewing agreement. Subscription services would be the end solution. Valid material comes with a box to make the payment and low grade or public domain for the 'free user'.

The reason of letting the 'lower class' get limited access just helps the upper level relate to the lower lever. University people don't like to chat with High Schoolers but they would choose them over the Elementary Students and if there is going to be limited communication they might as well know a few facts.

It still comes down to manipulation, we already pay the Government to protect us from criminal elements and they are the biggest crooks ever. Now Hollywood want to be paid extra for providing me with low grade programming that contains elements that would be criminal if an individual tried it. With bad programming being part of the two people deserve to be facing charges.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We don't download movies here at home, but we do stream them (like
watching a video on YouTube). Reading through the O.P. it seems like
the issue is downloading. When streaming, nothing is saved onto your
computer so you in turn can't pass it along to someone else. Hmmm....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
There is supposed to be a way to save a movie with XBMC....but I haven't figured how to do it yet.....anyways...I never watch a movie more than once....

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
haven't paid to be in a group of movie-talkers and chair kickers since god was a boy...I hear there are about 30 minutes of commercials/infomercials preceding each 'film' these days...sounds like fun...never mind the outrageous cost paid to enjoy the atmosphere of hundreds of strangers (I hate people) in your space...so I can sorta see the attraction to stiff the studios some...then again, there hasn't been a decent movie since The Godfather...there also hasn't been decent music since the eighties so that rules out musical pilfering and the time that goes with doing that...although my special old youtube folder is about 13 gigs of the harder to find stuff and tricky lawyerly tunes (eg. supertramp)

in conclusion, there is no movie that can't wait until it appears on rogers on demand for free and I'm in the mood. same goes for game releases and *ahem*, music.

but seriously folks, the days of pretending to be a 4chan black-hatter and scamming tunes and flicks is passé.

*this post also applies to the 'movies you've recently seen' thread.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Loc, you didn't mention cell phones. Last movie I went to watch in a theatre
(can't remember exactly when or even what movie it was), we where some
of the few adults there, with the rest being teens or slightly older, and cell
phones would ring every few minutes (with long loud phone conversations)
along with the light from the ridiculously over-sized smart phones, and the
stench of the artificial butter on the popcorn. I'm in no hurry to go back....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009