Windows 10 Announced - Video

Praxius

A First Look at Windows 10 - YouTube

This was a closed presentation to a small audience and was rumored to not have any video for the larger audience, yet Windows Phone Central shared this with everybody.

Windows 10 is presented in a way that shows a merger between what people know of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

It is rumored that people who currently have Windows 8/8.1 may have a free update to Windows 10, however that has yet to be confirmed last I checked.

So what are your thoughts on the new design of Windows?

spaminator
+1
they should have called it:

Corduroy
+1
I'm not computer expert but I suspect there's some math involved in developing an operating system. Why should we trust Microsoft, if they can't even count to ten?

#juan
+3
#4  Top Rated Post
I'm about ready for a new computer. I'm currently running XP on a five year old desktop system. This time I think I will probably buy an Apple system.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

I'm not computer expert but I suspect there's some math involved in developing an operating system. Why should we trust Microsoft, if they can't even count to ten?

OS#s usually come from the marketing department and those guys are never too bright. Just remember with Microsoft, the evened number releases suck while odd ones are usually OK. Somebody should share that with the marketing department.

spaminator
the technical preview is now available. Windows Technical Preview - Microsoft Windows (external - login to view)

media player and internet explorer have not been updated.

I can't find internet explorer metro.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

OS#s usually come from the marketing department and those guys are never too bright. Just remember with Microsoft, the evened number releases suck while odd ones are usually OK. Somebody should share that with the marketing department.

Kind of like the old Star Trek Films eh? Every other one was good.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Kind of like the old Star Trek Films eh? Every other one was good.

With Star Trek it was the even numbers.

spaminator
another thing i noticed is that when i leave the computer for a few minutes i have to login.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

another thing i noticed is that when i leave the computer for a few minutes i have to login.

There is an option for that. To find it, do the following (assuming you have the same setup as I do).

1. Click on the Window on the bottom left corner.

2. Click on PC Settings (looks like a gear or sprocket...it's purple for me).

3. Click on 'Control Panel' at the bottom.

4. Click on the 'System and Security' option.

5. Click on 'Power Options'.

6. Choose the 'Require a password on wake up' option. This could be set to "yes" for you. It isn't for me, as my computer does not require my password when it wakes up.

However, when I restart my computer it requires my password. I think I can change it on the same page, but I don't want to fiddle with it at the moment.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

[/FONT]

There is an option for that. To find it, do the following (assuming you have the same setup as I do).

1. Click on the Window on the bottom left corner.

2. Click on PC Settings (looks like a gear or sprocket...it's purple for me).

3. Click on 'Control Panel' at the bottom.

4. Click on the 'System and Security' option.

5. Click on 'Power Options'.

6. Choose the 'Require a password on wake up' option. This could be set to "yes" for you. It isn't for me, as my computer does not require my password when it wakes up.

However, when I restart my computer it requires my password. I think I can change it on the same page, but I don't want to fiddle with it at the moment.

thanks for the info.

spaminator
build 9860 is now available for download.

Praxius
I am of course tempted to give it a go, but I got my system exactly how I want it right now with all my stuff. If I had another system or was in the need to reformat I'd jump at trying Win10.

Come to think of it.... I have never even reformatted my computer since I first upgraded from Win7 to Win8 (and then to 8.1) and I upgraded to 8.1 the day it came out.... That's god'damn astonishing!

In the past with 7, Vista, XP, 2000, 98, 95 and my first Windows, 3.11.... I was always reformatting my computers at least once a year to keep them running smooth & fast because after so long, despite defragging, registry cleaning, spyware scans, virus checks and error checks etc. my systems would still start to slow down and get some nasty instability. I remember a few times where I had to reformat after just a couple of months.

Since I installed Windows 8 / 8.1, my system still runs as fast and as stable as it did the day I put it on.

That never happened to me before... And people were all in a huff about 8 having a start screen over a friggin menu? Man a lot of people missed out. I expect (or at least hope) Win10 keeps the same stability and optimizations as 8.

Like wow, that's my epiphany for the month.

spaminator
for some reason build 9860 created a guest account. i don't see an option to delete the guest account.

Locutus
+3

Praxius
+1

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I'm about ready for a new computer. I'm currently running XP on a five year old desktop system. This time I think I will probably buy an Apple system.

I know of several people, once devoted Windows users, who have turned to Apple laptops, juan - and not one of them is sorry they did. Had I been able to afford one when my Toshiba crashed, I too would have chosen Apple.

I have absolutely no interest in Windows 10. When I found out that my new laptop had Windows 8.1, I figured I had a learning curve ahead of me - not so. Once I got used to the computer anticipating my every move and how to ignore it, I was away to the races. I figure I use less than 50% of the features that come with the program so upgrading to one that will have even more seems a total waste.

Praxius
To each their own.... I know I was engulfed into Macs while in Photography and later in Newspaper production in Halifax.... I used them exclusively at work for over three years straight.

Before that I used Power Macs while in High School for a few projects.

Over time, I went from "meh" to downright hating them and getting frustrated to no end with constant freezing, crashing, limited functions and programs, limited ability to have any control over various settings as well as hardware.

I felt I went from an 18 speed bike to a Fisher Price Tricycle.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I know of several people, once devoted Windows users, who have turned to Apple laptops, juan - and not one of them is sorry they did. Had I been able to afford one when my Toshiba crashed, I too would have chosen Apple.

I have absolutely no interest in Windows 10. When I found out that my new laptop had Windows 8.1, I figured I had a learning curve ahead of me - not so. Once I got used to the computer anticipating my every move and how to ignore it, I was away to the races. I figure I use less than 50% of the features that come with the program so upgrading to one that will have even more seems a total waste.

Mowich, more than a few years ago now, I started with an an old DOS system that I could get to do almost nothing. Some friends at UBC found a copy of Windows 3 . 1, which I used for a year or two.....Just the odd bit of word processing and not much else. I graduated over the next few years to Windows 95 and 98.......finally Windows XP.....the first decent windows system Microsoft produced. I can say that Microsoft got me into computers but I've tried out a couple Apple systems and the people who are using Apple seem to be convinced. Apple systems are more expensive but the people with Apple systems seem to be a lot happier than I have been with Windows. I have to give it a shot.....

spaminator
build 9879 is now available.

the onenote and mail/calendar/people apps arn't installing.

Praxius
Windows 10 testers should get an easy path to the release version in 2015
Windows 10 testers should get an easy path to the release version in 2015 | Windows Central (external - login to view)

If you are a member of the Windows Insider program and have the preview version of Windows 10 installed on your PC, you should be able to gain access to the final RTM (Release to Manufacturing) build of the OS when it is released sometime in 2015. That's the word, at least, from Microsoft's Gabriel Aul when he answered a user's recent question on Twitter.

When asked, "will we be able to update to the RTM version when it ships from the TP branch?", Aul's answer was, "Yes, that is our intent." However, there's no definitive word yet if those same users will have to pay to update to the Windows 10 RTM build. There are some rumors that Microsoft will offer Windows 10 for free for users who have Windows 7 or higher installed but the company has yet to comment on pricing plans for the OS.

Also, Aul's statement says that Microsoft's "intent" is to allow Windows Insider user to upgrade Windows 10 to the RTM build. That would also suggest he's leaving some wriggle room for the company to change its mind at some point on this plan.

Source: Gabriel Aul (Twitter), Via WinBeta

Praxius
Well I just installed Windows 10 on my home PC.

Getting all my programs back on and backed up files, however I think my wife will be p*ssed as I forgot to backup our music library, whoops.

Anyways I like it for the most part so far once I modified a few things.

Though I miss the Start Screen so next time I log in I will be switching that back on.

spaminator
build 9926 in now available.

still no update for internet explorer and media player

spaminator
build 10041 is now available. still no update for media player.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

build 10041 is now available. still no update for media player.

Who cares. Never pay again. Well maybe. (external - login to view)

spaminator
build 10074 is now available.

spaminator
build 10130 is now available.

for some unknown reason it caused windows to go into a continuous repair and restart loop.

spaminator
build 10162 is now available.

tay
The reason Windows 10 is Free

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out

Windows 10 is amazing. Windows 10 (external - login to view) is fantastic. Windows 10 is glorious. Windows 10 is faster, smoother and more user-friendly than any Windows operating system that has come before it. Windows 10 is everything Windows 8 should have been, addressing nearly all of the major problems users had with Microsoft’s (external - login to view) previous-generation platform in one fell swoop.

But there’s something you should know: As you read this article from your newly upgraded PC, Windows 10 is also spying on nearly everything you do.

DON’T MISS: Windows 10: The first 5 things you need to do immediately after you install it (external - login to view)

It’s your own fault if you don’t know that Windows 10 is spying on you. That’s what people always say when users fail to read through a company’s terms of service document (external - login to view), right?

Well, here is Microsoft’s 12,000-word service agreement (external - login to view). Some of it is probably in English. We’re pretty sure it says you can’t steal Windows or use Windows to send spam, and also that Microsoft retains the right to take possession of your first-born child if it so chooses. And that’s only one of several documents you’ll have to read through.

Actually, here’s one excerpt (external - login to view) from Microsoft’s terms of use that everyone can understand:
We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications (external - login to view) or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.
If that sentence sent shivers down your spine, don’t worry. As invasive as it is, Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy. Of course, users are opted in by default, which is more than a little disconcerting, but let’s focus on the solution (external - login to view).

Rock Paper Shotgun has broken things down (external - login to view) into four main bullet points that will guide you through regaining control of your personal data.

READ MORE: 5 common problems people are having with Windows 10 – and how to fix them (external - login to view)

First, you’ll want to open Settings and click on Privacy. There, you’ll find 13 different screens — yes, 13 — to go through, and you’ll want to disable anything that seems worrying. The blog notes that most of the important settings can be found on the General tab, though other tabs are important as well. For example, you’ll definitely want to adjust what types of data each app on your system can access.

Next, users should consider dumping Cortana. Yes, the voice-driven assistant is easily one of the best new features in Windows 10 (external - login to view), but it also plays fast and loose with your data. As a result, many users will find that the benefits do not outweigh the risks.

For the third task, you’ll have to venture outside the confines of your PC and hit the web. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to check out Microsoft’s nifty new Edge browser. In it, click on this link (external - login to view) and set both “Personalised ads in this browser” and “Personalised ads wherever I use my Microsoft account” to off. This will disable Microsoft’s Google-style ad tracking features.

The last tip is one that most users will likely forgo, as it is a bit excessive. Rock Paper Shotgun recommends removing your Microsoft account from Windows 10 completely and using a newly made local account instead. This way, Microsoft doesn’t grab hold of all your data to sync it across machines. To us that’s a great and useful feature, but if you want to kill it just follow the link below in our source section for complete instructions and plenty more details.

Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out | BGR (external - login to view)