Windows 10 Announced - Video

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
A First Look at Windows 10 - YouTube

This was a closed presentation to a small audience and was rumored to not have any video for the larger audience, yet Windows Phone Central shared this with everybody.

Windows 10 is presented in a way that shows a merger between what people know of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

It is rumored that people who currently have Windows 8/8.1 may have a free update to Windows 10, however that has yet to be confirmed last I checked.

So what are your thoughts on the new design of Windows?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
they should have called it:

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not computer expert but I suspect there's some math involved in developing an operating system. Why should we trust Microsoft, if they can't even count to ten?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm about ready for a new computer. I'm currently running XP on a five year old desktop system. This time I think I will probably buy an Apple system.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not computer expert but I suspect there's some math involved in developing an operating system. Why should we trust Microsoft, if they can't even count to ten?

OS#s usually come from the marketing department and those guys are never too bright. Just remember with Microsoft, the evened number releases suck while odd ones are usually OK. Somebody should share that with the marketing department.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
OS#s usually come from the marketing department and those guys are never too bright. Just remember with Microsoft, the evened number releases suck while odd ones are usually OK. Somebody should share that with the marketing department.

Kind of like the old Star Trek Films eh? Every other one was good.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
another thing i noticed is that when i leave the computer for a few minutes i have to login. :(

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
another thing i noticed is that when i leave the computer for a few minutes i have to login. :(

There is an option for that. To find it, do the following (assuming you have the same setup as I do).

1. Click on the Window on the bottom left corner.

2. Click on PC Settings (looks like a gear or sprocket...it's purple for me).

3. Click on 'Control Panel' at the bottom.

4. Click on the 'System and Security' option.

5. Click on 'Power Options'.

6. Choose the 'Require a password on wake up' option. This could be set to "yes" for you. It isn't for me, as my computer does not require my password when it wakes up.

However, when I restart my computer it requires my password. I think I can change it on the same page, but I don't want to fiddle with it at the moment.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
[/FONT]

There is an option for that. To find it, do the following (assuming you have the same setup as I do).

1. Click on the Window on the bottom left corner.

2. Click on PC Settings (looks like a gear or sprocket...it's purple for me).

3. Click on 'Control Panel' at the bottom.

4. Click on the 'System and Security' option.

5. Click on 'Power Options'.

6. Choose the 'Require a password on wake up' option. This could be set to "yes" for you. It isn't for me, as my computer does not require my password when it wakes up.

However, when I restart my computer it requires my password. I think I can change it on the same page, but I don't want to fiddle with it at the moment.

thanks for the info. :) :cool:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I am of course tempted to give it a go, but I got my system exactly how I want it right now with all my stuff. If I had another system or was in the need to reformat I'd jump at trying Win10.

Come to think of it.... I have never even reformatted my computer since I first upgraded from Win7 to Win8 (and then to 8.1) and I upgraded to 8.1 the day it came out.... That's god'damn astonishing!

In the past with 7, Vista, XP, 2000, 98, 95 and my first Windows, 3.11.... I was always reformatting my computers at least once a year to keep them running smooth & fast because after so long, despite defragging, registry cleaning, spyware scans, virus checks and error checks etc. my systems would still start to slow down and get some nasty instability. I remember a few times where I had to reformat after just a couple of months.

Since I installed Windows 8 / 8.1, my system still runs as fast and as stable as it did the day I put it on.

That never happened to me before... And people were all in a huff about 8 having a start screen over a friggin menu? Man a lot of people missed out. I expect (or at least hope) Win10 keeps the same stability and optimizations as 8.

Like wow, that's my epiphany for the month.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
for some reason build 9860 created a guest account. i don't see an option to delete the guest account. :confused:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm about ready for a new computer. I'm currently running XP on a five year old desktop system. This time I think I will probably buy an Apple system.

I know of several people, once devoted Windows users, who have turned to Apple laptops, juan - and not one of them is sorry they did. Had I been able to afford one when my Toshiba crashed, I too would have chosen Apple.

I have absolutely no interest in Windows 10. When I found out that my new laptop had Windows 8.1, I figured I had a learning curve ahead of me - not so. Once I got used to the computer anticipating my every move and how to ignore it, I was away to the races. I figure I use less than 50% of the features that come with the program so upgrading to one that will have even more seems a total waste.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
To each their own.... I know I was engulfed into Macs while in Photography and later in Newspaper production in Halifax.... I used them exclusively at work for over three years straight.

Before that I used Power Macs while in High School for a few projects.

Over time, I went from "meh" to downright hating them and getting frustrated to no end with constant freezing, crashing, limited functions and programs, limited ability to have any control over various settings as well as hardware.

I felt I went from an 18 speed bike to a Fisher Price Tricycle.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know of several people, once devoted Windows users, who have turned to Apple laptops, juan - and not one of them is sorry they did. Had I been able to afford one when my Toshiba crashed, I too would have chosen Apple.

I have absolutely no interest in Windows 10. When I found out that my new laptop had Windows 8.1, I figured I had a learning curve ahead of me - not so. Once I got used to the computer anticipating my every move and how to ignore it, I was away to the races. I figure I use less than 50% of the features that come with the program so upgrading to one that will have even more seems a total waste.

Mowich, more than a few years ago now, I started with an an old DOS system that I could get to do almost nothing. Some friends at UBC found a copy of Windows 3 . 1, which I used for a year or two.....Just the odd bit of word processing and not much else. I graduated over the next few years to Windows 95 and 98.......finally Windows XP.....the first decent windows system Microsoft produced. I can say that Microsoft got me into computers but I've tried out a couple Apple systems and the people who are using Apple seem to be convinced. Apple systems are more expensive but the people with Apple systems seem to be a lot happier than I have been with Windows. I have to give it a shot.....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
build 9879 is now available. :) :cool:

the onenote and mail/calendar/people apps arn't installing. :(