Are the internet really making us dumber?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Derp. wut?

via Fark

http://www.fark.com/comments/7344584/Are-internet-really-making-us-dumber

Many scholars and critics warn that TV and the Internet are dumbing us down. But, if that's true, why are children around the world performing better on IQ tests? Are we actually getting smarter, or are we merely thinking in different ways?

Vincent is sitting on the couch and watching a vacation video when he suddenly poses two questions to his parents: "Why is space endless? And what was there before the Big Bang?"

Without waiting for an answer, Vincent jumps up to turn his attention to a different topic: his new red rubber boots with pictures from the animated film series "Cars." "I want a puddle!" Vincent shrieks, dancing around the room in excitement. "Then I can jump in it and splash you!" Vincent T. is 4 years old. Two years ago, he was having problems at his day care center, where he was throwing sand and hitting other children. Was he disturbed? Did he suffer from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or perhaps even Asperger's syndrome? Concerned, his parents had two-and-a-half-year-old Vincent examined by a psychologist. The finding: Vincent had an IQ of 133.

more

Studies Contest Theory that Internet Is Making People Dumber - SPIEGEL ONLINE

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Id say its changing things as well. Not making us dumber. Though I must say I really hate some of the changes. I hate most internet slang. New technology tends to have that effect.

I've read that many in the ancient world did not like the idea of writing things down. They thought writing would lead to people not knowing as much because they wouldn't have to keep it all in their heads. Its similar to the internet.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It shouldn't make anybody dumber. From my own point of view, I now have more information at my fingertips
than ever before.