Microsoft to ban every browser but Internet Explorer from the new version of Windows

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The biggest lawsuit in Microsoft’s history dominated the 90s, when the company battled accusations that it was stifling browser competition. Rival Netscape couldn't survive, but the Windows giant was ultimately forced to strip Internet Explorer from its operating system in a landmark ruling.

That conflict may be brewing up again.

Mozilla, the developer group behind the popular Firefox browser, argued Wednesday night that Firefox is being banned from certain versions of Windows 8, the forthcoming tablet-centric OS from Microsoft -- returning Windows users to the dark ages before competition.
“The upcoming release of Windows … and Microsoft’s browser practices regarding Windows 8 Metro signal an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages where users and developers didn’t have browser choices,” wrote Harvey Anderson, Mozilla general counsel, in a Wednesday night blog post.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i'm also surprised that they haven't created their own internet security suite and cd/dvd suite.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
You can only hang on to that for so long though can't you? Eventually won't it become obselete and newer software will be incompatible with it?

I think that will eventually happen.:(

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
That's how they get ya. Believe me, I hated giving up XP for Vista (especially Vista, lol) but unless you have a copy of the OS, you're stuck with what comes loaded when you buy new.

I understand how you feel. i'm hoping that windows 8 will be an improvement over windows 7. what has me worried about windows 8 is the new metro/tablet like user interface for pc desktops, etc..:(8O

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I didn't read the article, but the actual headline should read: "Microsoft wants to limit browser support on its Windows Phone OS".

Since Windows Phone has such a small market share, it's hardly an anti-trust issue. I'd be a little bit pissed if I had a Windows Phone, but I never really liked the functionality they offered, so I passed and stuck with Android (which has its own legal issues).

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That's how they get ya. Believe me, I hated giving up XP for Vista (especially Vista, lol) but unless you have a copy of the OS, you're stuck with what comes loaded when you buy new.

Actually, you can use Linux, and I believe you may get a rebate for no os. Linux is free.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
i'm also surprised that they haven't created their own internet security suite and cd/dvd suite.

You never heard of MSE? Microsoft Security Essentials. It happens to arguably be the best free security program out there. There are a whole lot of security professionals using it. Add Malwarebytes Anti Malware along with MSE and your a cut above most users.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Why should Microsoft have to accommodate its competition? In addition why
should the telephone companies have to share their lines and equipment. If
a company wants to enter the phone business they should have to provide all
their own equipment.
Its like saying Ford parking lots should be required to make available 25% of
their parking lot for competitors to sell products from their lot.
If FireFox wants to get into the market they should be required to provide their
own infrastructure and provide the services Microsoft has, I don't see why they
should have to share or make their products compatible.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Why should Microsoft have to accommodate its competition? In addition why
should the telephone companies have to share their lines and equipment. If
a company wants to enter the phone business they should have to provide all
their own equipment.
Its like saying Ford parking lots should be required to make available 25% of
their parking lot for competitors to sell products from their lot.
If FireFox wants to get into the market they should be required to provide their
own infrastructure and provide the services Microsoft has, I don't see why they
should have to share or make their products compatible.

That has got to be the dumbest reasoning I have seen here in a while. That's like saying that blaupunkt or sony et.al. should have to build their own cars if they want to have a market in car stereos.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Now if someone would only be smart enough to build a windows based platform on Linux software vs windows software.. which I might add Linux is much more stable... sorta, build a better mouse trap..

I think many computer manufacturers would be beating down the door to jump ship from Mircosoft.