Over 600 thousand Macs infected

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Impossible! I have always heard Mac supporters claim that viruses were a purley Microsoft problem.
I think the surge in popularity is making them look good to those who produce mal wear. It has only been the relative small market share that kept Macs from being targeted. Apple's marketing has worked too good for them which now leaves consumers more vulnerable.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think the surge in popularity is making them look good to those who produce mal wear. It has only been the relative small market share that kept Macs from being targeted. Apple's marketing has worked too good for them which now leaves consumers more vulnerable.

Yes. With a PC people almost always buy or download protection. Mac users have been lured into a false sense of security.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Yes. With a PC people almost always buy or download protection. Mac users have been lured into a false sense of security.
If you keep your computer up to date and don't open fishy files, you can eliminate the need of virus scanners. Pretty much the only things that will infect you are zero day exploits, and those will get past the virus scanner and disable them in any case.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
If you keep your computer up to date and don't open fishy files, you can eliminate the need of virus scanners. Pretty much the only things that will infect you are zero day exploits, and those will get past the virus scanner and disable them in any case.

I would disagree, many full suite paid AV's can be redundant in most cases if one keeps all programs and plug ins updated but there is also malware out there that does not depend on Java or flash to insert itself.
Many average users do not understand threats, particularly social engineering types and allow the threat.

I have used MSE and Malwarebytes pro for a long while and both have saved my butt a couple times even though i am a fairly knowledgeable user and do not surf indiscriminately. I advocate a dual approach to web safety.