Austrian student takes on Facebook

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Austrian law student Max Schrems may be just one of about 800 million Facebook users, but that hasn't stopped him tackling the US giant behind the social networking website over its privacy policy.

The 24-year-old wasn't sure what to expect when he requested Facebook provide him with a record of the personal data it holds on him, but he certainly wasn't ready for the 1,222 pages of information he received.

This included photos, messages and postings on his Facebook page dating back years, some of which he thought he had deleted, the times he had clicked "like" on an item, "pokes" of fellow users, and reams of other information.

more

Austrian student takes on Facebook - FRANCE 24

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Strange thing the internet..
I have over a hundred videos on you tube... One in particular was of a guy picking and singing with his girlfriend...last year he splits up with that girlfriend and asks me to remove the video from you tube and I delete it (not just remove it from public view and its gone from my view and I'm the owner of that channel.
Yet the other day....on my wife's PC she had that video in her favorites and can still view it any time she wants... so thinking it's somehow in a temp folder in her computer...I manually clean all the temp folders plus run "CCleaner" a pretty good PC cleaner. The video still shows up when she calls it up in her favorites on her youtube account So this somehow means that anybody that had that particular video as a favorite can still view it and I can't even see it in my videos or my channel...8O

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Austrian law student Max Schrems may be just one of about 800 million Facebook users, but that hasn't stopped him tackling the US giant behind the social networking website over its privacy policy.

The 24-year-old wasn't sure what to expect when he requested Facebook provide him with a record of the personal data it holds on him, but he certainly wasn't ready for the 1,222 pages of information he received.

This included photos, messages and postings on his Facebook page dating back years, some of which he thought he had deleted, the times he had clicked "like" on an item, "pokes" of fellow users, and reams of other information.

more

Austrian student takes on Facebook - FRANCE 24

Well that's no surprise... with things like liability and having to record just about everything done on your social networking site in order to cover your own arse..... I'd have just as much recorded down for each member, if not more.....

You provide them with all of this information everytime you click something, what you post, what you like, what you linked, who you added as a friend, etc. etc..... even if you added someone as a friend for 10 seconds and then removed, them, they have it on record.

And quite honestly, why shouldn't they?

You're using their site and their services, they use these statistical records and information to help determine if that feature in question is worth having around or needs fixing, etc. They added the freature to like things, they added the ability to upload photos or post what's on your mind..... you decided to use those things, you decided to join up on their site..... yet people continually go on about their privacy and their so-called rights and constantly post these things elsewhere on the internet complaining and exposing just how much of their information is being tracked.

What's next?

People complaining that their phone company has recorded every single phone number you dialed, who's phone number it was and for how long your conversation was?

People complaining that the power company continually records how much power you use?

You're using their service, they have every right to track and record every statistical detail you provide them..... don't like it?

Don't use it..... it's not complicated. Nobody is forcing you to use facebook, nobody is forcing you to click every link, or to post what's on your mind or add whatever "friend."

"When you delete something from Facebook, all you are doing is hiding it from yourself," Schrems told AFP in his home city of Vienna.

No, you're hiding it from yourself and every other member on facebook who has you as a friend.... only those employed at Facebook who's authorized to view that information can see it.

The problem is that most people don't take the time to read the small print in Facebook's terms and conditions, he says.

Well clearly he didn't read it either as he's already a member of Facebook, he already did many of these actions over the last few years to be recorded and is only now starting to complain..... after he already accepted the terms and conditions in order to continue being on Facebook to notice all of this.

And sorry, but not reading a contract or agreement you signed or agreed to is not an excuse to not be bound by that same contract/agreement.

"For the average citizen data protection is too complex and subtle," he says, believing it is therefore the responsibility of the state to ensure that users' rights are upheld.

It's not that complex.... it's common sense. If you use any service provided by any business or web site, they can and will record many things for their own records and for their own businesses' security, including your personal information, such as credit card info, your living address, your age, sex, etc. etc..... and if it's a web site, they will track what you say or do on their site..... which they have every right to do because they need to cover their own arse.

Just look at all the information this site (CanadianContent) records from you. When you joined, your IP address when you post, how many posts you made, your threads, your signature, your email address, who posts on your wall, the date & time you posted, and on and on.....

What happens if someone came along with a conflict or problem from another member or service of your site and in order to resolve that problem, they need that information..... but you don't record any of it, or destroyed it after 24 hours? You as a business/site operator would most likely get in even more sh*t and it's appear as though you were either trying to cover your own butt, or you were protecting other people who might have actually broke the law, etc.

In spite of everything, Schrems remains an avid Facebook user.
"Social networking sites are a great invention. Depriving yourself is not the answer."

Then you only have yourself to blame, because nobody is forcing you to use social networking sites..... you don't "NEED" to use them to get by in everyday life.

Use your email, hell..... use a telephone, people still use them.

"Depriving yourself?"

:roll:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What people don't understand is that, yes, Facebook is free to use, but what they sell is their user data.

Exactly the same as, say, Airmiles.

As a reminder, Facebook is not a compulsory thing, it's purely voluntary.