Computer Tech Advice

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Right now my wife and I watch pretty much everything over the internet. The only issue of course is that everytim we want to watch something we have to dragg her laptop over to the tv and plug it in. I would like a more permanent solution without breaking my bank account.

Along with the two laptops in the house we also have an E Machine that is preloaded with XP. It does not have an HDMI slot and I am wondering if you can buy one to plug in. Again keeping it affordable.

Suggestions?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Right now my wife and I watch pretty much everything over the internet. The only issue of course is that everytim we want to watch something we have to dragg her laptop over to the tv and plug it in. I would like a more permanent solution without breaking my bank account.

Along with the two laptops in the house we also have an E Machine that is preloaded with XP. It does not have an HDMI slot and I am wondering if you can buy one to plug in. Again keeping it affordable.

Suggestions?

I don't know what breaking the bank means to you but I saw some USB to HDMI adapters at the Source the other day an I can't remember the price, but they were on sale...
Here they are at Tiger direct,,,, Buy the MyGica USB 2.0 to HDMI Multi-Display Adapter at TigerDirect.ca

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I would suggest a Sony PS3, it can pull video via UpNP protocol from any computer in the house as long as they're on the same network.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I would suggest a Sony PS3, it can pull video via UpNP protocol from any computer in the house as long as they're on the same network.

I considered that, but have now opted to order a small tower to replace my crappy cable box. This should meet all out online viewing needs and I can finally jettison the last of the basic cable I was keeping just for local news.

With HDMI I can run everything through my receiver. Bye bye cable!

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
I considered that, but have now opted to order a small tower to replace my crappy cable box. This should meet all out online viewing needs and I can finally jettison the last of the basic cable I was keeping just for local news.

With HDMI I can run everything through my receiver. Bye bye cable!

I concur! I would gladly jetison my cable bill. Basic here, and not willing to pay more to have 2 more disireable channels along with the 20 or so that run the same programs.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I have hooked a computer up to my television and everything is now online. It's a bit of an adjustment, but beats paying out $180 a month for Cable and Internet.