Age of average gamer is 37!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Average gamer is 37 years old!

According to the organization, which represents the game industry, the average gamer today is 37 years old. Moreover, the average game buyer is 41 years old. Because of that, a greater number of parents are playing games with their children. The ESA said that 45 percent of parents play games with their kids "at least weekly."

Those statistics are quite important to the ESA and the industry as a whole. Over the last several years, the gaming business has been targeted by critics and lawmakers who say that mature-rated titles, like the Grand Theft Auto franchise, among many others, are too easy for children to buy.

However, in April, the Federal Trade Commission released the results of an "undercover shopper survey" that found just 13 percent of underage teenagers were able to buy mature-rated games that are designated as only suitable for those 17 and older. When children attempted to buy R-rated DVDs, on the other hand, 38 percent of them were successful.

Source

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Me and the kid weren't allowed to have a video game machine :( Which is fine, it wouldn't have been used anyway.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Me and the kid weren't allowed to have a video game machine :( Which is fine, it wouldn't have been used anyway.

I use my PS3 console for media more then anything, when I feel inclined to play a game, it's usually on the PC.

I didn't really play that many games as a kid though, I was more interested in riding my bike around or causing trouble of various sorts

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like pinball but have you ever tried to bring one of those machines on an airliner? Clunky but far better than pissing around with a sudoko keychain game thing while flying.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I use my PS3 console for media more then anything, when I feel inclined to play a game, it's usually on the PC.

I didn't really play that many games as a kid though, I was more interested in riding my bike around or causing trouble of various sorts

We didn't end up getting a PS3 until our DVD player crapped out, and then it just made sense.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We didn't end up getting a PS3 until our DVD player crapped out, and then it just made sense.

The PS3 is great for media playback. Besides the BluRay, you can also set it up to stream movies from your computer, which is what I do

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The PS3 is great for media playback. Besides the BluRay, you can also set it up to stream movies from your computer, which is what I do

We really haven`t fully explored its potential. I can see that it knows my computer is here, but I don`t know how to get them to fully talk to one another yet.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If it were for NORMAL people, Las Vegas and Atlantic City and all the floating gaming boats would be DEAD.

Gambling when you you know fully well, that you CAN'T beat the house is a clear indication that you are SICK.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If it were for NORMAL people, Las Vegas and Atlantic City and all the floating gaming boats would be DEAD.

Gambling when you you know fully well, that you CAN'T beat the house is a clear indication that you are SICK.

Gaming, not gambling. Nintendo, PlayStation, Wii, and the like.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Ithought it was interesting that games are being more tightly monitored (or according to the article they seem to be) by retailers than movie DVDs are. Those who are always complaining about how games are detrimental to society never seem to be as strident about more "conventional" forms of entertainment... although to be honest many of the pro-censorship crowd seem to want everything banned and burned except their bibles.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Average gamer is 37 years old!

According to the organization, which represents the game industry, the average gamer today is 37 years old. Moreover, the average game buyer is 41 years old. Because of that, a greater number of parents are playing games with their children. The ESA said that 45 percent of parents play games with their kids "at least weekly."

Those statistics are quite important to the ESA and the industry as a whole. Over the last several years, the gaming business has been targeted by critics and lawmakers who say that mature-rated titles, like the Grand Theft Auto franchise, among many others, are too easy for children to buy.

However, in April, the Federal Trade Commission released the results of an "undercover shopper survey" that found just 13 percent of underage teenagers were able to buy mature-rated games that are designated as only suitable for those 17 and older. When children attempted to buy R-rated DVDs, on the other hand, 38 percent of them were successful.

As I am currently 37 years old, this article surely must be about me!:lol: