Arctic will have first ice-free summer in 2015: Researcher

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Arctic will have first ice-free summer in 2015: Researcher

By Kevin RollasonDecember 5, 2008
The ice that has covered the Arctic basin for a million years will be gone in little more than six years because of global warming, a University of Manitoba geoscientist said.

WINNIPEG - The ice that has covered the Arctic basin for a million years will be gone in little more than six years because of global warming, a University of Manitoba geoscientist said.
And David Barber said that once the sea ice is gone, more humans will be attracted to the Arctic, bringing with them even more ill effects.
“We’ll always have ice in the winter time in the Arctic, but it will always be first-year ice,” Barber said on Friday.
He said he estimates the Arctic sea should see its first ice-free summer around 2015.
“That has got industry very interested in the Arctic,” he said. “That will put more pressure there.
“The change is happening so quickly.”

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Funny, wasn't this past summer supposed to be the first Ice-Free? Wasn't the year before supposed to be the first one? What about 2010?

Now it's 2015?

Tell you what? I'll make a prediction too:

By the year 3256, aliens will have harvested all of our brains for insulating their homes in order to protect them from our cold temperatures after taking over the planet.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Yeah, another bs prophecy that hasnt turned out.

"The [strike]poor[/strike] morons we shall always have with us".

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, another bs prophecy that hasnt turned out.

"The [strike]poor[/strike] morons we shall always have with us".

Hopefully, you have no other real responsibility in this world beyond mouthing off on an internet forum and therefore you can do no real harm.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Hopefully, you have no other real responsibility in this world beyond mouthing off on an internet forum and therefore you can do no real harm.
Correct. I just live for the joy of exposing global warming charlatans such as yourself.

Quite enjoyable too.

Please keep your posts coming.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I was talking to a buddy last night that lives in Tumbler Ridge. Said they still have 3 feet of snow in the yard.They want to park the sleds and ride the Harleys like normal people but had to dig them out of the shed.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Mid may and it's full summer on Vancouver island.

Barely any winter here anymore. Plants don't go dormant and start blooming in January/february

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Mid may and it's full summer on Vancouver island.

Barely any winter here anymore. Plants don't go dormant and start blooming in January/february

Mid May and it's full summer here in the Heartland. A very welcome change from one of the heaviest snowfalls on record this past winter. :lol: Gotta love that climate change thingee.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Hit 32C here yesterday.

Hard to believe there was snow on the ground 4 weeks ago.

We've had temps breaking records here for the last few days, pete. The snow on the North facing side of my house that came off the roof was still there until two weeks ago. Little old Eagle Creek which can be easily crossed in mid-summer is a roaring river lapping at the embankment that underlies Canim-Hendrix highway. Canim Lake came up two feet in a week and a few folks lost their wharves to the high water - some who built a tad to close to the lake now find their waterfront property begins just outside their door. All the fields at the South end of the lake are under several feet of water and the cattle have had to be moved to higher pastures. And this is just the first melt - there is still plenty of snow sitting on our mountains. Glad I live high on a hill.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I sure hope that you folks get a break on any flooding Mo, it's fair to say that you've had your share of hardships related to natural events

We here in Eagle Creek are fairing way better than those to the South of us, Cap. I really feel for all the folks whose homes are under water, pastures destroyed, roads and bridges washed out. Grand Forks is one of the hardest hit. I spent a wonderful summer prospecting around that area and met many of the residents - my heart just breaks to see what they are going through right now.

On another note, whilst we watch the waters rise, the forests are tinder dry and bans have already been placed on burning. If the temps continue to be in the mid to high 20's we expect to see bans placed on all campfires which will really put a damper on those hoping to go camping - but better that then some fool starting a forest fire. Nature sure has a way of putting a damper on things.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have 15 fires in SK, tonight and tomorrow it cools off and we are getting rain. Perfect timing for firefighters and farmers.

It's all gone.

The horror!

It's all gone.

The horror!