Climate Change Research Axed in Australia

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda

Restoring Sanity To Its Rightful Place

The fallout from the new government’s budget is still being seen in Australia, but it is already obvious that climate change is a loser when it comes to funding. Prime Minister Tony Abbott has long been skeptical of global warming and the science behind it, but with his new-found legislative power it seems as though he is looking at making that viewpoint into law. According to critics, there is no longer even the pretence of working towards limiting the effects of climate change as the government works to protect the interests of fossil fuel producers and businesses. Whether or not there is a real connection between big business interest and the new budget, Abbott and his cabinet have taken the axe to climate change research and are poised to fundamentally damage all scientific research in Australia in the process.

The budgetary facts are inescapably grim for researchers and scientists based in renewable energies and research. The funding for all government programs related to climate change is set to shrink at an alarming rate, going from $5.75 billion this year to a scant $500 million in the next four years. Additionally, the Emissions Reduction Fund which is meant to help lower greenhouse gas emissions in Australia is going to be reduced to only $1.14 billion. This was devastating news after Environment Minister Greg Hunt had gone on record promising to provide $2.55 billion to fund the program. Nevertheless, it is not only climate change programs that are feeling the pinch of the Abbott budget. The Commonwealth Science and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia’s national science agency, will have $111 million worth of funding slashed over the next four years, which will affect an uncertain number of programs and a loss of tenth of the CSIRO workforce.

The outlook is bleak from the standpoint of scientists and researchers in Australia, many of whom will probably leave the country in order to find work elsewhere. This represents a loss of a skilled workforce for a country that is already seeing a six percent unemployment rate. Despite harping on the jobless rate, the Abbott government has not provided a solution to getting more people working. Cuts to climate change programs and scientific research are only the tip of the unemployment iceberg. Under this budget, unemployment rates are set to rise to 6.25 percent by June next year. This is worrying news for the hundreds of thousands of Australians currently out of work or who are facing the prospect of unemployment in the wake of the new budget plan.

But it is not only highly educated scientists who may lose their employment after climate change research was axed by the government that is currently running things in Australia. There are thousands of jobs connected to renewable resources that will also be lost due to funding cuts. Thousands of jobs exist in rural areas where renewable energy sources like wind and solar power have a great presence. Wind mills and solar energy outposts have to be built in rural areas that have enough space to accommodate them. People who own the land these are built on also see an income from the renting of their property to the operators of this machinery, an income they will most likely lose should funding be cut so drastically. It looks as though funding for climate change programs is not just an issue of ideology, but a problem of real-world economics.

Some have claimed that the cuts are completely ideologically driven and have nothing to do with principles of budget balance or good governance. Greens party leader Christine Milne called out the prime minister’s oppositional stance to climate change science. She referred to the government’s repeated claims to support emissions reduction and called the budget a repudiation of that, a dropping of the curtain on their real designs on the issue. She went a step further, calling the budget an attempt to “shore up the vested interests of coal-fired generators and the old order of Australia.” Her comment points to the role of the mining industry, which provides six percent of the country’s economy.

There is some good news for climate change funding and the scientific research community that is facing down the barrel of the Abbott government’s budget. Until the budget passes the senate, there will be no changes to funding and organization of the sector. For now, climate change research is safe from getting axed and if the senate does not allow the budget to go through, the jobs that could be lost will still exist in Australia’s renewable energy sector.

Climate Change Research Axed in Australia - Linkis.com

Restoring Sanity To Its Rightful Place - Small Dead Animals

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Australian PM Tony Abbott plays down slump in polls after budget

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott shrugged off opinion polls yesterday that show his government's popularity had plummeted since the release of its tough first budget.

Two separate polls taken since Abbott's government last week released a cost-cutting blueprint for the next fiscal year show the ruling conservative coalition's popularity now trailing the centre-left Labor Party opposition by a double-digit margin.

The government plans to raise taxes, reduce welfare and shed public service jobs to reduce a deficit set to reach A$49.9 billion (HK$523 billion) in the current fiscal year ending June 30.

The government also plans to strip A$80 billion from hospitals and schools over a decade, shifting the costs to the states and raising the prospect of an increase in Australia's 10 per cent consumption tax.

Critics say many of the cuts directly contradict pledges made by Abbott and his party ahead of their election last year.

The Newspoll found Abbott's government, which came to power in a landslide victory in September, was now trailing the opposition 45 per cent to 55 per cent on the question of who respondents would vote for at the next election. Nielsen put the gap wider at 44 per cent to 56 per cent.

Australian PM Tony Abbott plays down slump in polls after budget | South China Morning Post

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good to see a leader doing what is good for the country despite what the leftards think.
Maybe Harper will read this and quit wasting time on debate and start building pipelines and BC can start on site C.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Good to see a leader doing what is good for the country despite what the leftards think.
Maybe Harper will read this and quit wasting time on debate and start building pipelines and BC can start on site C.
To ship oil to China while putting sanctions on them. Perhaps you missed the Russian/Chinese pipeline already in the works.

Russia-China Pipeline - Business Insider
Russian President Vladimir Putin told Chinese media that the strength of Russia-China relations is at an all-time high as the two countries are reportedly finalizing a 30-year gas-supply deal. "Now Russia-China cooperation is advancing to a new stage of comprehensive partnership and strategic interaction," Putin said. "It would not be wrong to say that it has reached the highest level in all its centuries-long history."
The gas deal, which has been on the table for over 10 years, would send 38 billion cubic meters of natural gas to China each year starting in 2018 with the potential to expand the annual capacity to 61 billion cubic meters.
China consumed about 170 billion cubic meters of natural gas in 2013 and set a target of up to 420 billion cubic meters a year by 2020.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I knew Abbott was gonna screw things up even more. I can tell these things very accurately early on.

The problem is, I can't vote here as I am not a Citizen, but a Perm Resident, so I just watch from the sidelines.

The other problem is that apparently even though I haven't been out of Canada for even 5 years, I'm still not eligible to vote in Canada anymore either, as apparently because I have no fixed address in Canada due to living here, I have no specific riding to vote in.... nice little loophole to prevent me from exercising my democratic right as a Canadian citizen.

Anyways, this is just one of the minor things that Abbott cut... there's a lot more that people are upset about and unfortunately, this cut isn't near as important compared to the others people are upset about.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Jesus Crisp, climate changes! Thousands of years of evidence and it's still changing,regularly. Get some fire wood and stop paying attention to CO2 losers. COAL FIRED AND PROUD OF IT

Coal is preferred fuel to keep bunnies and puppies warm. It's very clean now as well you know.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

What Abbot is doing is pretty much exactly what Harper has done. He slashed funding and powers of scientists and doubled down on the oil and gas industry years ago.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Looks like we'll have to adjust the ole consensus numbers, eh?

You think that finding out that a right wing politician doesn't doesn't believe in climate change is a shock to the existing climate change landscape?

93 percent of your life is directly brought to you by the illustrious oil and gas industry, praise god, why do you hate oil lovers like me?

Don't worry, I hate you for other reasons too.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And if we ever run out of oil from the ground and ocean floors, we always have whales to fall back on :twisted:
We ain't never gonna run out of oil, it keeps being generated by natural forces, it's called abiotic oil.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Jesus Crisp, climate changes! Thousands of years of evidence and it's still changing,regularly. Get some fire wood and stop paying attention to CO2 losers. COAL FIRED AND PROUD OF IT

Coal is preferred fuel to keep bunnies and puppies warm. It's very clean now as well you know.

Bunnies AND puppies!?!

I'm sold then.. Really, who doesn't love bunnies and puppies?

You think that finding out that a right wing politician doesn't doesn't believe in climate change is a shock to the existing climate change landscape?

Such is the will of an entire continent.

... So... How you think that the ole consensus numbers will change?

We ain't never gonna run out of oil, it keeps being generated by natural forces, it's called abiotic oil.

Funny about the relationship between organic, carbon-based life forms and oil.

Wonder if the greenies will recognize he potential?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And if we ever run out of oil from the ground and ocean floors, we always have whales to fall back on :twisted:

Run out? The environment never stopped making oil and gas. Fossil fuel is a misnomer when it's fresh fuel it's bio fuel. Heck even the good stuff from the Triassic is bio fuel and the whole lot of it is organic.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Run out? The environment never stopped making oil and gas. Fossil fuel is a misnomer when it's fresh fuel it's bio fuel. Heck even the good stuff from the Triassic is bio fuel and the whole lot of it is organic.

Hey don't ruin my plans... Those whales have been getting a free ride for far too long now, their populations are getting better and my lantern just isn't the same without some whale in it.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Such is the will of an entire continent.

... So... How you think that the ole consensus numbers will change?

So you still don't quite get this whole scientific consensus concept do you?

BTW, given the polling numbers, it seems like the majority of the people in Australia don't consider their their will.