Mental illness rise linked to climate change

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
That's right...

RATES of mental illnesses including depression and post-traumatic stress will increase as a result of climate change, a report to be released today says.
The paper, prepared for the Climate Institute, says loss of social cohesion in the wake of severe weather events related to climate change could be linked to increased rates of anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress and substance abuse.
As many as one in five people reported ''emotional injury, stress and despair'' in the wake of these events.

Read more: Mental illness rise linked to climate

Whatever.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Loss of social cohesion? Is that why most kids are born in September? People stay home and boink in January?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That's right...

RATES of mental illnesses including depression and post-traumatic stress will increase as a result of climate change, a report to be released today says.
The paper, prepared for the Climate Institute, says loss of social cohesion in the wake of severe weather events related to climate change could be linked to increased rates of anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress and substance abuse.
As many as one in five people reported ''emotional injury, stress and despair'' in the wake of these events.

I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure one in five people would report "emotional injury, stress and despair" as a result of just getting out of bed in the morning.

And $5.00 says the phrase "could be linked" will become "is linked" within 24 hours.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
And $5.00 says the phrase "could be linked" will become "is linked" within 24 hours.

The title of the thread/media outlet already removed the could be, that is to say they removed the caveats. Popular press sucks at reporting research results.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The title of the thread/media outlet already removed the could be, that is to say they removed the caveats. Popular press sucks at reporting research results.

My bad, didn't notice the title, was simply the reading the article as posted in the OP. So I guess that means nobody will be taking my bet, huh? ;)

And between you and me, I think the popular press sucks at reporting a lot of things.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
These are not mental illness issues, they are emotional issues. Depression, for example, is anger without enthusiasm. Emotions have nothing to do with the mind. Sounds like someone is trying to make money off inventing non-existing mental illnesses.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Of course rates will jump... because mental health professionals will be looking for, and asking about trauma from the event, and diagnosing it. If someone came to ask me a million questions about my dead aunty, they'd probably diagnose me as having post traumatic stress from her death, that doesn't mean that it's something that bothers me daily to such a degree that I'd need to seek out help. But, a mental health professional would likely be thrilled to say it's the cause of a depression I might end up with down the road. And I say this as someone with an avid interest in the profession.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Some background on the Climate Institute - who completed the study..

Established in late 2005, The Climate Institute is a non-partisan, independent research organisation that works with community, business and government to catalyse and drive the change and innovation needed for a low pollution economy and culture.

Our vision is for a resilient Australia prospering in a low carbon global economy, participating fully and fairly in international climate change solutions.

The Climate Institute is primarily funded by a donation from the Poola Foundation

Mental illness rise linked to climate

More on The Poola Foundation...

Mark began his presentation by explaining that the Poola Foundation is a charitable entity. He and his wife (the Director’s of the Poola Foundation) consider it to be the ‘divestment arm’ of their family company. The Foundation’s primary areas of focus are on the environment, social justice, and peace. In its activities, the foundation aims to inspire, to educate and to demonstrate solutions. The Foundation tends to provide larger grants but has made grants ranging from $2,000 to $10 million in size. By 30 June 2007, the Foundation expects to have distributed about $30 million in grants.

Ethical Investment Summary Notes from a Philanthropy Australia Seminar

In terms of its investments the Poola Foundation has a mixed portfolio that includes shares, residential and commercial property, bank bills, venture capital and direct-controlled assets. These investments are generally of a positive nature and complement their grantmaking.

In concluding his presentation Mark noted that climate change is currently a headline issue and is one that the Poola Foundation has been concerned with for some time. It is also an issue that the Foundation is considering when reviewing its existing investments and when assessing investment opportunities. He urged guests to consider the long-term effects of companies operating in carbon-intensive industries on the environment and on their investment portfolios. The Foundation’s views are that such companies will not make good long-term investments. Furthermore, he asked guests to think about how they could support their grantmaking and charitable objectives through their investment portfolio; and to consider, at the very least, how they could avoid confusing or counteracting their grantmaking objectives through their investment decisions.

His final comment was that ethical investing doesn’t have to be ‘all-in’ or ‘all-out’. Foundations can dip their toe in the water with say 10% of their investment portfolio and as their comfort level grows with the concept they can increase the percentage of their portfolio that is dedicated to ‘ethical investments’.

http://www.philanthropy.org.au/pdfs/papersreports/EthicalInvestment_March2007.pdf