The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Not on your life...

Had a wonderful childhood with Anglican Christian father and Jewish mother so it was temple on saturday and church on sunday. I have absolutely no use for religion anymore.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I can't help myself over a little bad catholic humor.

I personally think women should be ordained if they want to be, but look at where I came from, what do I know....

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am what they call a retired Catholic, I left the church some years ago. No I haven't
gone to another church, or changed anything else, I just go for funerals and weddings
of relations. My aunt was a nun until she died at the age of 94. She always said that
someday the church would wake up and solve its personnel shortage by having women
become priests. Yes it makes sense of course. In addition the church need to in
fact embrace other changes. It need to allow priests to marry and to have both left
and right views when it come to political views. That way the clergy can have some
understanding as to what is on the mind of those who attend the church itself.
The clergy has to understand they are part of the community and there is no us and them.
The reason I left was, there was a rigid belief system and everyone had to fit in like it or
not. Well I didn't like it and I didn't fit in so I drifted away. Maybe the church is going to
embrace the twenty first century.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I attended several Presbyterian religious services with my friends in Indianapolis. Two of those friends were ministers, one man and one woman.

The sermons delivered by the lady were always moving, inspirational and thought provoking. They resonated in my mind through the following week. I contrast, the homilies delivered by Catholic priests are generally the most boring, droning, monotone and unforgettable.

I am Catholic, but not a smorgasbord Catholic. Until the Holy Father changes the present rules, I will - with regret - respect the no-woman-priest rule.

And although I believe that some of the charges against priests allegedly molesting children are opportunistic copy-cat charges, the children would be safer with woman priests.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
OK I'm not a Catholic (and am now an agnostic, not a practicing member of any denomination) but was raised in a similar sect: the Lutherans (Mom was a Catholic until she married Dad, then became a Lutheran, as the rest of his family was... and part of her adult confirmation consisted of a Lutheran reverend doctor taking the class to a Catholic mass and showing how little difference between the sects there was). I also have attended services (or masses if you prefer) conducted by Catholic priests on numerous occasions, usually (but not always) related to Christmas or wedding celebrations. Aside from confession to a priest and the imposed pennace (vs confessing sins directly to God through prayer) and the use of Latin, I never saw a lot of difference. As I got older and studied a little more history, I found that many early churchmen were married and that the Catholic prohibition is more a tradition of style more than substance (Christ never mandated that his followers be celebate, medieval popes decided that).

Likewise, as times have changed and the role of women in our society has evolved, I really don't see a basis for the prohibition of women as priests, save that it was something that traditionally wasn't done. Conversely, I have attended services conducted by female clergy of other denominations (such as United and Anglican/Church of England) which were as valid and well presented by any I'd attended by male clergy. Now I can respect the idea of holding onto traditions but by the same token, the idea of priests emerging from the native populations (such as that of South America which was pagan 500 years ago, converted "by the sword" by the Spaniards, and now much is devoutly Catholic) was anathema at one point, whereas today it is accepted practice not to discriminate based on racial origin. If the Catholic Church is willing to act against internal racism, why does it lack the will to act against its own sexism as well?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It comes from trying to scrub the maternal from religion and why Mary which as an archetype of several pagan godesses and the other females are downgraded.

There were far more goddess than gods through the ages so now through bizaree reasoning the paternal is put forward as superior.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I was raised Catholic but you know where i stand ........but in any case .....it is about time the church got with the times .....good for her , good for them. That does send a positive message ;)